Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Clam king

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clam king

Click image for larger version

Name:	clam king.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	33706 When clamming was king on the Great South Bay.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Jerry Is that you in the photo? I Have many great memories of being on the water in my younger days.
    Mark
    1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
    1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

Steamers?.....
      '78 20ft Cuddy
      Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Hard shell. Thats my son. He worked with me while he was in HS. The basket has welks.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I dug quahogs for a few years thru those brutal winters in early 80’s. Chopped ice and all that. Tough going
          '78 20ft Cuddy

Comment

Ed, I know. We drove onto the ice and chain sawed holes to dig through.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I did that working for a marina around the pilings. But we would double up in a skiff and have to chop our way out of the ice to get to clean water. Tired before we even threw the rake in the water. But price was thru the roof. Nothing is colder than working out of a skiff in the winter, believe me
              '78 20ft Cuddy

Comment

Days gone by. I don't know if anyone commercially clams on the south side at all anymore. There are still a number of dedicated baymen clamming the north shore. They use rakes with 50' long handles working deep water. Some bring a helper not only to cull but to help break the rake out of the mud. Steamers can be had near the shore if you know where to dig

regards Holty

Comment

In RI diggers now use pot haulers to help break the rake out of the mud. What that really means is to lift it to the surface. Best analogy to quahogging I can think of is think of is standing on a 2nd floor deck. You have a 1" 10 ft pole in your hand. It is set on the ground with a 5 gal bucket attached to the end full of cement. Now pull it up to you. for 4 hours. Oh yeah, its cold out too

Around 16:30 gets into setting the gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fniCcjhV31c
                  '78 20ft Cuddy

Comment

Around here shinnycock rakes are winter version with a few tongers working deeper water. Summer is a few scratch rakers with the majority treading. My family including my war imported hillbilly father all clammed or oystered. I on the other hand only did it when construction jobs were scarce. I did a lot but can't say it was my primary living. The bays around here are shallow and my next door neighbor treaded all winter except when the ice got bad. The long handled shinnycock rakes are for the upper body people. Pulling that rake across a bay looking for a bed would kick my butt but was way better than treading in freezing water.
                    Atlantic City, NJ
                    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

great video Pedlyr! Thanks for posting

regards Holty

Comment

Thanks Ed. Plenty of memories there. I was always exhausted by the time I got home but felt great. Was strong as a bull.
                        1988 26' cuddy
                        1975 20' open
                        16' Sandpiper
                        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

This goes with the other Click image for larger version

Name:	clam king 2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	33744 picture
                          1988 26' cuddy
                          1975 20' open
                          16' Sandpiper
                          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Fine looking rig. That picture has south shore Long Island all over it.
                            regards Holty

Comment

Working...
                            X