Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

can't find these

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't find these

I am looking to replace the fuel selector valves, that may or may not be stock. They are 25 plus years old and getting iffy. Three position lever with one hose barb pointing down and two barbs pointing up. Barbs are standard 3/8" ID fuel line. Fixture itself is bronze and the elbows and barbs (which I can reuse) are brass. There is no name on the valve body. So far I can't locate locate a supplier in the Frozen North.

crhodes, just re-read you post on the other site, via shamrock1969. Still have not found a source for new valves yet, but more alarming have I been using these valves incorrectly all these years? I point the lever to port or s/b to draw from that tank. If I'm hearing correctly the valve is designed to close off the tank the pointer is directed to, and actually draws from the opposite tank? What say you?
    Last edited by Tony; 09-23-2022, 04:12 PM.
    Enjoy,
    Tony

1981 20 ft cuddy
    4.3L Chev V-6

On my valves the pointer points to the tank I'm drawing from. However, not all valves are the same. Recall a site years ago where you could order valves the way you wanted it to operate. Question, do you only have suction fuel lines or suction and return (ie, 6 ports instead of three)?
    C Rhodes
    26' Mackinaw - 1990
    351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
    351 PCM (2006 - Current)
    Southport, NC

Comment

Originally posted by crhodes View Post
      On my valves the pointer points to the tank I'm drawing from. However, not all valves are the same. Recall a site years ago where you could order valves the way you wanted it to operate. Question, do you only have suction fuel lines or suction and return (ie, 6 ports instead of three)?
      Very good point. I have ordered a pair of Moeller fuel tank valves on the weekend, and could not contact to ask that question of the pointer. I will be doing that now. My system would normally be a 3 way valve, however previous P/O over designed the valving layout and I have two separate fuel filters being serviced by two fuel valves. He wanted more protection from bad diesel fuel which the boat had before I bought it. When he put in the gasser and removed the 4 cyl diesel, he kept the dual filter system. Thks for reminding me on calling Moeller.
      Enjoy,
      Tony

1981 20 ft cuddy
      4.3L Chev V-6

Comment

Not a bad idea to have a filter for each tank. One three way valve.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
          Not a bad idea to have a filter for each tank. One three way valve.
          I agree, except it gets quirky. The installer of my system wanted to have the choice of being able to route either tank through either fuel filter. The need was a result of bad diesel fuel clogging one filter, but by selecting the second tank and the second filter you should have a new shot at getting back. Providing your second tank was not contaminated with what the other tank had. Gives me a headache thinking about it, but it does work. Thus two 3 way valves.
          Enjoy,
          Tony

1981 20 ft cuddy
          4.3L Chev V-6

Comment

So the plan now is to sand and paint the metal bracket to which the valves are mounted to, re-hose and connect fuel lines, and leave the wiring up the negatives to a marine electrician. While our weather is co-operating drain the gas tanks, antifreeze the raw water side, remove batteries and put her away for the winter. Boat shelter is ambient temperature so what isn't done at this point will be done next spring.
            Enjoy,
            Tony

1981 20 ft cuddy
            4.3L Chev V-6

Comment

Working...
            X