Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Mixed fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed fuel

I have about 20 gallons of 50-1 mixed non-ethanol. What would happen if I used it with my inboards? Maybe a little at a time.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Dump it all in assuming you have carbs. I have heard injectors can clog if too much at once but have never tried it. All the oil will do to carbed stuff is add lubrication and maybe foul plugs with soot. The plugs will clean themselves in time.
    Atlantic City, NJ
    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

I have experience with aftermarket Diesel "oil burnoff" units. On Caterpillars. They are basically a 5 gal can full of clean lube oil mounted on the wall. It is hooked up to a timer. This same timer has a second circuit that is plumbed to the oil pressure line. This is on a engine with a 22 gal sump which is small for a 1100 hp engine.

Ok so timer goes off for a few seconds and allows engine lube oil (via engine oil pressure) to go into the fuel return line. Remember diesels always have a return.Then, new oil timer in first circuit goes off and allows clean oil from can to replace it to the crankcase. Idea is oil never gets dirty because it is being replaced on a constant basis.

Sound like a nightmare? Yes. Trying to adjust the timers to match the flows, etc.But it did work. Never had injector problems but we did have exhaust valve problems. CAT used it as a scapegoat and blamed the system (after they approved it). Ended up taking it out and changing the oil every 150 hrs which was a PIA. Real problem was CAT ground the faces on the exhaust valves wrong.

Anyway the point is I think you be fine. Just spread it out a bit.
      '78 20ft Cuddy
      Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

The major downsides are that premix oil reduces the octane and increases the A/F ratio. I'm with Pedlyr, spread it out.
        Steve
        1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

How much premix are we talking about?
          Atlantic City, NJ
          1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Do a search on Cardan shafts

https://www.rowlandcompany.com/produ...n-driveshafts/
            '78 20ft Cuddy
            Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment