Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Manifold plumbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manifold plumbing

So I'm replacing my manifolds and risers on my 20'er, 5.8 PMC, thinking about doing some replumbing, I'm hoping to get some insight on what's the best inlet to use. I'm sure ones has to be better then the other. Which would you recommend? First picture I can go into the back of the manifold, second picture I have 2 location on the manifold and 1 on the riser.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Striper Sniper; 08-13-2022, 12:09 PM.

The one on the riser is if you intend to include the manifolds in the FW side. Which ever one is easiest to work on in the manifolds.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
      The one on the riser is if you intend to include the manifolds in the FW side. Which ever one is easiest to work on in the manifolds.
      Good point. I forgot to mention it's a fresh water cooled system.

Comment

Pat, remember that there are 2 freshwater system types. A half system(only the block is cooled) and a full system(block and manifold cooled). The full system requires a larger heat exchanger than the half.
        Atlantic City, NJ
        1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Originally posted by Ship View Post
          Pat, remember that there are 2 freshwater system types. A half system(only the block is cooled) and a full system(block and manifold cooled). The full system requires a larger heat exchanger than the half.
          Another great point, thanks Skip! Mine is a half cooled system. Raw water cools the exhaust. Would you stay with the risers or plumb it into the manifolds?

Comment

Your heat exchanger is prrbablyl the smaller so only do the block. Do the riser and manifolds with raw.
            Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Ship View Post
              Your heat exchanger is prrbablyl the smaller so only do the block. Do the riser and manifolds with raw.
              Correct, the heat exchanger is smaller and only cools the block. Raw water cools the exhaust. With that being said, logically to me anyway the longer the cool raw water is in the system the better. I'm thinking the top or front inlet of the manifold makes the most sense.... would you aggre?

Comment

Pat, I can't find my circulation diagram but at the very least the hotter water won't cool the exhaust hose and any fiberglass pipe that is near the risers. Anything beyond 200* is a threat to the hose and pipe. Exhaust gas will melt the hose and or the resin.
                Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Or that is my understanding.
                  Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cooling system2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	35636 Click image for larger version

Name:	cooling system.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	35637 The gaskets you used for the riser to manifold joint will dictate if you can go with a full FW system or not. Forget all the thermostat stuff on the GM base. You get the picture.
                    1988 26' cuddy
                    1975 20' open
                    16' Sandpiper
                    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Pleasurecraft ran them to the rear of the exhaust manifolds only because they are closer to the heat exchanger's outlet -Hose below

Click image for larger version

Name:	FWC.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	35642

Comment

The other thing is make sure the raw water hoses going to the manifolds are the same length. I thought I would clean things up where the raw water teed for each side.No. It all went to the short side.
                        '78 20ft Cuddy
                        Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Originally posted by Pedlyr View Post
                          The other thing is make sure the raw water hoses going to the manifolds are the same length. I thought I would clean things up where the raw water teed for each side.No. It all went to the short side.
                          Oh shoot thats an issue now I have to rework it all over again.

Danm and I thought I was over the hump, apparently not so.
                          Last edited by Striper Sniper; 08-13-2022, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Pat, what Ed says is 100% right on. Equal to both sides is a must.
                            1988 26' cuddy
                            1975 20' open
                            16' Sandpiper
                            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

They are not the same length on the PCM system - are you guys saying that's wrong? It's not even the same length on their raw water systems

Comment

Working...
                              X