Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Oil in Bilge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil in Bilge

Ran my stroker yesterday for about an hour in the intracoastal. First time 3000 RPM for any length of time. Had run at dock or in shop many times before and never had a drop of oil anywhere. Thinking it may have been overfilled and blew out dipstick. Oil pressure fine and no oil on engine that I can see. Clean up and run again as soon as I figure out the alternator?
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

The engine produced some crankcase pressure under load when running, the dip stick makes sense. What kind of breather is in the valve cover?

When the oil is super clean, it is difficult to find the source.
    Steve
    1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

My valve cover gaskets give me fits. Not always easy to see. Especially since manifolds are almost touching.
      '78 20ft Cuddy
      Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Didn't smell any burning oil. Valve covers would have leaked onto the exhaust. Cleaned up. Oil full on dip stick. Now just to figure out why alternator is not working.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...
        X