Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

lose spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-ethanol 89 oct. Should I set the total first? Max timing btw 3000 and 4500 is a pretty big range.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Set total first, idle timing is what it is. With 89 octane, I would start with 30 total. If there is no ping, try 32.

Your total timing should be in by 3000-3500

What is the compression ratio?
      Steve
      1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

Usually the idle timing has more to do with ease of starting. Is that correct Tuner?
        1980 pilot house 351
        1988 260 predator 408

Comment

• tuner
          tuner commented
          Editing a comment
          It needs to be high enough to run smoothly but not so high that it is hard starting or kicks back. If the idle timing is too low the engine becomes very inefficient and the exhaust temperature will rise (glowing headers at idle is a sure sign of retarded timing). Jerry's cam will do best between 12-16* BTDC.at idle. EFI cures this problem (and many others) by enabling a cranking timing angle and a running timing angle. Old carbureted race cars often had a "retard box" that eased starting with locked distributors or high idle timing (25*+).

Guesstimate on the compression ratio by man who put it together, high 9s.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• tuner
          tuner commented
          Editing a comment
          it is going to need all 89 octane points.

should I get higher octane. Station nearby has some 90 something.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

89 is fine since you have aluminum heads. The engine will make more power with higher octane and ignition timing.

I run 89 in mine.
          Steve

Comment

93 octane is $1.20 more per gallon. I set the total advance to 32* at 3500 rmp, that gives me 8* initial. Thats whats going in the water. OK?
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• tuner
              tuner commented
              Editing a comment
              Should be good. Listen carefully for knock under load.

Originally posted by tuner View Post
            Should be good. Listen carefully for knock under load.
            This is just one of my many problems. My hearing is less than adequate and I'm usually by myself. Will put it under load at the dock and give my new neighbors some more mud.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• tuner
              tuner commented
              Editing a comment
              I wish that I could do that once in a while, but I would need to use my old Willys jeep.

What does spark knock sound like. I have a lot of time and money in this engine and don't want to blow it up. I want to be conservative. Need longevity and reliability, not speed.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

The sound varies but something like marbles or ball bearings rattling in a can. Light detonation can be just a few clicks or snaps.

I would run the boat with the engine cover off and gradually add throttle in steps up to full throttle.

32* total is not aggressive.
              Steve

Comment

Gunna wait till Monday when all the VIP Raleigh people are gone. Then I will put it to er and blow another 6' hole at my dock.
                1988 26' cuddy
                1975 20' open
                16' Sandpiper
                14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I would do while they're here just to piss them off.

Comment

Runs really shitty at 6. Gunna try 8*
                    1988 26' cuddy
                    1975 20' open
                    16' Sandpiper
                    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

if this is a custom build, you may have a damper that is not correct for your timing mark the arrow or whatever you have on your block. Check to make sure the top dead center matches the timing mark. As we all know new does not make it right and or non-defective
                      Atlantic City, NJ
                      1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Originally posted by Ship View Post
                        if this is a custom build, you may have a damper that is not correct for your timing mark the arrow or whatever you have on your block. Check to make sure the top dead center matches the timing mark. As we all know new does not make it right and or non-defective
                        I second this. My then new girlfriend, ultimately wife, had an engine under warranty replaced by Chevy dealership. Harmonic balancer was not made for the replacement engine. When replacement engine failed due to bad cam bearings I rebuilt it for her (one month into relationship). Though timing appeared to be correct it was waaaayyy low. Took me awhile to figure this one out. Wound up timing it by increasing timing until I heard spark knock when romping down on fuel when in gear, then backed off timing a little. Cinched down the distributor and never touched timing again.
                        C Rhodes
                        26' Mackinaw - 1990
                        351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
                        351 PCM (2006 - Current)
                        Southport, NC

Comment

Working...
                        X