Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

lose spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lose spark

New 383 stroker. Turn key to start position and everything is great. Let go to run position and engine shuts down. Where do I look? Thunderbolt ign system. New key switch, new everything. Somewhere I screwed up a wire. Thanks.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Does it have a ballast resistor? Key on should send power through the ballast resistor then to the coil. Crank position bypasses the ballast resistor and sends power directly to the coil.
    Steve
    1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

No resistor.
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

The obvious is the wire to the coil is on the starter terminal rather than the ignition terminal. But I'm not the best person on electronics or electrical.
        Atlantic City, NJ
        1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Key switch wired wrong. Need to find which lug of that switch is energized in the run position and move the ignition wire. What's going on is when you hit start the coil hot is energized- you let up to the run position the lug goes off- engine dies. That or you got the wrong key switch.
          Ship you type faster than me I think what sometimes happens is the new key switch has changed terminals,so when someone changes like for like on the wires they run into this problem
          Last edited by gary s; 07-03-2022, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PCM_wiring_351_30.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	35128

PCM wiring 1982

Comment

Obviously, I screwed up something. It ran before I messed with it doing a compression check and installing the new key switch. Had to have knocked a wire loose or wired the switch wrong.
              1988 26' cuddy
              1975 20' open
              16' Sandpiper
              14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I'm at a loss. I have spark and gas. Everything is wired right. I can't get it started. No one arond here any longer. Have to take it to Morehead City or Beaufort and maybe they can get to it early September.
                1988 26' cuddy
                1975 20' open
                16' Sandpiper
                14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Is it still doing the "fires in the start position" but dies when you release the key?

With the key in the "ON" position, are you seeing any voltage from the coil + post to engine block?
                  1986 26' HT w/5.7 PCM 330HP RWC

Comment

Originally posted by radioman View Post
                    Is it still doing the "fires in the start position" but dies when you release the key?

With the key in the "ON" position, are you seeing any voltage from the coil + post to engine block?
                    Yes, have spark.
                    1988 26' cuddy
                    1975 20' open
                    16' Sandpiper
                    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

With the key turned to the ON position, jumper the starter solenoid pin to the battery positive post and check for spark when the engine cranks.
                      Steve

Comment

Not spark at all. Got it running today. Timing, yes timing. Check simple things first, I know. Now the question is, how to set without a timing mark. Can't find one on the balancer. Know to put finger in hole of # 1 cylinder for TDC but how accurate is that for setting the timing? BTW, this thing sounds awesome.
                        1988 26' cuddy
                        1975 20' open
                        16' Sandpiper
                        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

There should be a mark or a single groove on the balancer. You will need to install a pointer if there is not one on the timing chain cover.

The best way to find TDC is with a piston stop, all other methods will potentially result in a 3-5* error.

The piston stop is a long threaded brass part that screws into the #1 spark plug hole. The stop is threaded far enough in so the piston cannot reach TDC. All of the spark plugs are removed and the engine is gently turned with a wrench until the piston touches the stop, at this point a temporary mark is made on the balancer at the pointer location. The crank is then turned in the opposite direction until the piston makes contact and another mark is made. TDC is the exact midpoint between the two marks.
                          Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve. I have a pointer but no mark on the balancer. I seem to remember setting the timing with a vacuum gauge. Having flashbacks to my draggin' days while working on this engine. Just ordered a piston stop.
                            1988 26' cuddy
                            1975 20' open
                            16' Sandpiper
                            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I use a dial gauge. Bring it to top of travel and mark on damper then continue until it begins to drop, mark damper. The middle of the two marks is TDC. At least that is how I learned it in the machine shop at the construction company I worked at when I was a youngin. I don't know if that it the best way but I wish I had heard Tuners method before I bought the dial gauge which cost too much for the few times I used it.
                              Last edited by Ship; 07-06-2022, 08:39 PM.
                              Atlantic City, NJ
                              1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

• tuner
                                tuner commented
                                Editing a comment
                                The dial indicator works very well if you have access and can get it in place, I use it before the heads go on. I make marks at the same "depth" on either side of TDC
                                Last edited by tuner; 07-06-2022, 08:54 PM.
                            Working...
                            X