Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

What This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What This?

What's the white cylinder with the hole on the top? 17 open.
    Pat
    Last edited by Striper Sniper; 10-04-2021, 09:40 AM.

Looks like a reservoir for an oil filled in hull transducer
    '78 20ft Cuddy
    Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

• Striper Sniper
      Striper Sniper commented
      Editing a comment
      Going to have to Google that one... never heard of such a thing. Learn something new every day.
      Last edited by Striper Sniper; 10-04-2021, 09:59 AM.

All early Shamrocks that got the fish finder option had them.
    Atlantic City, NJ
    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

A shoot through way to prevent drilling holes in bottom. Works pretty good in shallow water (under 100').
      Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

• Striper Sniper
        Striper Sniper commented
        Editing a comment
        I suspect it's outlived it's usefulness given how much electronics have progressed.

Not really. Still a viable option. Just not for real deep water. From what I have read, it starts losing definition at about 100'. But, will still work all the way to the limits of the sounder.
      Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

It works. Some had a PVC pipe.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I'm going to see if there's more to it then what I can see. It's still a little obscure to me at this point.

Comment

A pipe cap on about 6" PVC pipe. The hole was where the thru Hull stem of the transducer mounted. Filled with mineral oil. Nothing mysterious about it. The oil and fiberglass have the same density as the water. Give or take!!! Air bubbles in the glass or resin mess it up.
            Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

What wait the transducer is submerged in the mineral oil???

Comment

Yes It is. Do not operate a transducer dry. You will burn out the crystal.
                Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Striper Sniper.......Ship is correct about causing the transducer damage but you can also use water in a pinch. The oil is def the proper way to go and you should fill the cavity to the lip before setting and locking the transducer in place. You don't want any air in the cup.
                  The PVC cap with the hole in it looks like it is just a cap to try and help insulate the transducer from harmonics being so close to the prop shaft. I also don't know why the riser would be there other than maybe the transducer required a flat level surface to mount to.

Have you tried to remove the PVC yet?

Mines an '84 predator cuddy, attached is a pic of my original depth sounder which is mounted further forward beside the transmission and without the riser or a cap. I don't use this one anymore so the wire has been cut. Haven't made time to remove it from the hull yet...LOL

My newer Garmin transducer has its own leveling mount to glue to the hull and the transducer is clockable to account for the hull angle.

Comment

Working...
                  X