Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Winter gas protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter gas protection

I read on SBO's where they wanted advice on gas storage. I hate e-10 because it attracts moisture. No matter if you fill tanks or not. My 2 cents is seal fills and vents, and add stabilizer. What say you?
    Atlantic City, NJ
    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

I cannot get non ethanol gas in Illinois. I put marine stabil in everything I own. My GT40 powered Nautique sat on the lift for a year and a half with about 10 gallons in it. Gas cap and vents had nothing done to them. Added some marvel mystery oil and seafoam this spring jumped the fuel pumps and ran them for about 5 minutes. On startup it ran like I used it yesterday. I also have a '47 Ford 8N,a 49 Farmall Cub and a 59 Cub Lo Boy, which I shut off and walk away. 5 Honda bikes,1969-1976 those I drain since only 1 or 2 get used regularly,2 Still chain saws I drain and run dry if I remember and a Toro snowblower the same. One car sits for 5 months as well when we head to Florida. Ethanol fuel is the farthest from my worries. What works for me might not work for you- there are at least 11 different formulas of gasoline for different areas of the country- I have had Florida gas eat a tank liner in less than 4 months. Do what works for you......

Comment

I use Chevron Techron Protection Plus Marine Fuel Treatment. I switched from Star-Tron a few years ago. 1oz per 10 gallons and fuel is good for up to two years. So far is is has worked perfectly in all of my gasoline powered stuff, especially carbureted engines.

https://www.amazon.com/TECHRON-26670...31685855&psc=1
      Steve
      1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

Move to PA there's plenty non ethanol here. :-)

Comment

Just about every station has NON corn here.
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

It all has ethanol here. I have to go 25 miles to get aviation gas and pay $5:00 plus for it IF there's an attendant there.
            Atlantic City, NJ
            1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

For winterizing, I just ad stabilizer to whatever fuel is left in tanks, usually about a third. Then in the spring I top off with Hi-test. I also check the racor fuel bowl/ filter i have which helps separate any water. I have a carburetor and havent had any issues with ethanol yet.
              '78 20ft Cuddy
              Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

I run the tanks down low with marine stabil in the tanks. Seal of the fuel tank vents to help reduce moisture from air. I do run non alcohol fuel through fuel pump and carb. You can buy gallon can at Home Depot. In the spring I fill with fresh fuel.
                1994 20’ Walk Around
                Rebuilt 351W in 2021
                4 Barrel Holley
                1:1 velvet drive rebuilt 2021

Comment

Stabil and forget it. Mine sat for a few years and started up. Never covered the vents. Covering vents will promote condensation IMO.
                  l run my snow blower dry.
                  Just wishin', and hopen', and dreamin'

Comment

Why not just drain the tank(s) if unsure of the spring start up?

Comment

Working...
                    X