Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

4.3 noise & smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.3 noise & smoke

Put the 20 in Sat. and couldn't get it started. Ran perfectly in the shop 1/2 hour before. Started right up and ran at the dock yesterday. Took it out the canal, metal noise that I attributed to the damper. Like that but louder. Took it right up to 4400 and was happy as could be for 1/2 mile . Smoke pouring out the port valve cover and LOUD metal scraping noise and rattling like a broken rocker arm. Started right up this morning and no noise. Just Idled to the ramp, 300 ft away. Engine on a pallet 2 hrs later. Valve cover off and turn engine over. Everything looks as it should. I'm done with this engine.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Jerry, was this engine rebuilt by your original engine guy?

Comment

Once had a 1970 LTD do that and was a stuck valve I think. Smoked and sounded finished. The old man fixed it and didn't go into detail.
      2001 246 WA
      Mercruiser 5.7 Horizon

Comment

Stuck valve that got unstuck, sounds logical.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

150 - 145 lbs in each cylinder. What would you do ? Put it back in and pretend nothing happened ?
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I would long block it if you arent sure. For $2000 why not
            '78 20ft Cuddy
            Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Collapsed lifter?
              Steve
              1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

Engine is going North. Metal on metal scraping and a LOT of blowby is an issue. After talking to MYMY Steve , I will have his guy take it apart and check it correctly. I would never have any confidence otherwise. When I P/U my 170, I'll drop this off. Crazy to have to drive 4 hours to an engine guy but, I'm done with the locals.
                1988 26' cuddy
                1975 20' open
                16' Sandpiper
                14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Ive had good luck with this guy

https://www.marshallsmachine.com/marine
                  '78 20ft Cuddy
                  Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Working...
                  X