Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Temperature mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature mystery

PCM 302 Previous gauge and sender read about 40 degrees high after checking with temp gun that I know is accurate. Gun says 145 gauge syas 185-90. Changed out the sender first to R020003 sender. Gauge still read same high. So I ordered a new Faria gauge and installed. Same result - 45 degrees high. I suppose I could get used to the new reading but would prefer to get actual temp. Along with asking for input on the overall issue I am wondering how one knows which senders are compatible with which gauges? Thanks. I suspect I have an incompatibility problem.

Is the wire going to the sending unit damaged or have high resistance?
    Serenity
    07 246 WA
    5.7 MPI Crusader

Comment

Like Redneck asked, check your wire for proper condition and size. Temp gauges read voltage through resistance in the sending unit. The sending unit is also the circuit ground to the engine. As the coolant warms, resistance drops in the sending unit and the voltage gauge reading rises as it is gradually sent more voltage. If the wire is offering too much resistance, your gauge will read higher than it should because the voltage would be impeded or lost over the length of wire.
      1987 26' Hardtop
      1996 20' Walkaround Cuddy

Comment

The wire thoughts are helpful. I believe I did rewire that myself a few years ago. What size should it be? Thanks.

Comment

It depends on the length of the wire. There are online calculators for voltage drop and resistance..
          1987 26' Hardtop
          1996 20' Walkaround Cuddy

Comment

Working...
          X