Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Matching strainer inlet hose to Johnson pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching strainer inlet hose to Johnson pump

Just finished rebuilding my Ford 351 and transmission and back in the water. With the transmission rebuild I installed a new cooler. The old cooler had a 1" inlet fitting that matched up with the strainer and had a 1 1/4" outlet that matched up with the Johnson raw water pump. Right now I have a coupling between the cooler outlet and pump so I can go from a 1" hose to 1 1/4" I cannot seem to find a cooler that has a 1" inlet and 1 1/4" outlet like the old cooler. Maybe I am concerned about nothing but I don't like couplings because they reduce the opening size even more then the ID of the hose. Has anyone come across this on the Ford engine and curious to what was your solution.
    1994 20’ Walk Around
    Rebuilt 351W in 2021
    4 Barrel Holley
    1:1 velvet drive rebuilt 2021

Don't think it is a Ford thing so much as a conversion manufacturer thing (Indmar, PCM, Mercruiser, etc.) Might have to go through the original conversion manufacturer. My original engine, Indmar, ran 1-1/4 and the PCM runs 1" (to the best of my recollection). My strainer was the same for both engines and is a 1" strainer. For that reason feel comfortable you could change to 1-1/4 hose at both ends and a new cooler, changing the outlet at the strainer to 1-1/4.
    C Rhodes
    26' Mackinaw - 1990
    351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
    351 PCM (2006 - Current)
    Southport, NC

Comment

I have used reducers many times. No problem.
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Thats good to hear. Thanks Quick Fix. On my raw water rebuild engine I am running a little hotter then I should with a 142 tstat. A new gauge which are not always precise is reading 175. I thought it might have been water restriction with the reducer coupling but looks now more likely a sender unit. My IR gun reads 145 to 155 degrees different areas of the block and heads. My risers are in the range of 114 to 130. I contacted the manufacturer of the temp gauge and they gave me 2 different temp sender units that match up to the gauge. Will see if that makes a difference.
        1994 20’ Walk Around
        Rebuilt 351W in 2021
        4 Barrel Holley

Comment

A followup on what I found to be the issue in case anyone might run across something similar. It was the ground wire to the gauge. I found 6-8 ohms of resistance on that ground wire to the gauge. Fixed the ground by running a new ground and gauge reads accurately at 160 degrees which is within the tolerance range for the Tstat.. . Risers run about 115 degrees both sides
          1994 20’ Walk Around
          Rebuilt 351W in 2021
          4 Barrel Holley

Comment

Glad to hear it. Nice to put one up in the win column!
            C Rhodes
            26' Mackinaw - 1990
            351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
            351 PCM (2006 - Current)
            Southport, NC

Comment

Working...
            X