Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Batteties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteties

What was the original set up for batteries on a 1982 26 center console? Mine was set up with 2 3ET batteries when I bought it. One was dead so i replaced both...i was aware that these are not the best marine batteries but guy at the battery warehouse was strongly suggesting i figure out a way to fit different batteries. Problem i have is i have no real place for a different size battery, my battery box is fiberglass and sits next to the motor on the starboard side.

I had thought about using one of the storage wells as a battery storage unit. Extend cables.

Comment

So your is set up the same way? Is that the factory set up?...guy at battery warehouse was looking at me like i didn't know a thing about boats

Comment

My batteries are in the box in front of the engine. I made a tub like the deeper one in the cuddy.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• tcf25
          tcf25
          Shamrock Addict
          tcf25 commented
          Editing a comment
          With my center mount gas tank i can't get anything in front of the engine.

Yes, my 2 batteries are placed end to end in a fiberglass rectangular "box" on the starboard side, between the manifold and side of the center console.
        I had considered relocating them to the "fish cooker" area, only because if placed forward of the engine id need to run the cables along side the engine. I don't install the cooker, personal preference only. I'd glass in an elevated "battery rack" to support them off of the bilge.
        If I end up doing that, I was going to add a solar charger on the hardtop.

What is your plan?

Comment

• tcf25
          tcf25
          Shamrock Addict
          tcf25 commented
          Editing a comment
          I am sticking with the if it ain't broke don't fix it. Sounds like we have the same set up. I have a Noco charger that i plug in after use so I will see how long of life i get out of the brand new batteries. I might have to figure out how to put 3 more batteries in if I install a 36 volt trolling motor...i think the far forward compartment might get sacrificed for that.

Understood. It'll be interesting to hear how that trolling motor handles all that boat.

Just curious, what engine and what numbers are you coming up with speed and rpm?

Comment

• tcf25
          tcf25
          Shamrock Addict
          tcf25 commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha...trolling motor is on my list. There is a thread on the other site about an install. The new motors are so nice and with the long shaft options should not have a problem on the Shammy. I have a 351w...i am cruising at about 3000rpm and that gets me between about 23mph. Max pushes 4000 rpm and about 28mph (don't quote me on that...that is from memory. I don't crank her up that high very often)

Ok, my 5.7 mpi at 3k runs about 20. Pushed to 4k is about 25 MPH.
        I cant remember what size wheel its turning.

Anyway, the battery setup is not ideal.
        Boatsparky
        Shamrock Addict
        Last edited by Boatsparky; 06-14-2021, 09:43 PM.

Comment

When we purchased our 1990 26 open the batteries were mounted on the rain gutter inside the console / flip up seat area held only by zip ties. The batteries were not in a box when they moved they touched the exhaust manifold. Obviously this was not a factory setup. We rewired the boat and during that process we moved the batteries to the compartment in front of the engine. The battery boxes are fastened to fiberglass grate which keeps them elevated above the bilge. We will mirror this set up in the front half of the same compartment when the batteries for the trolling motor get installed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C8CF90BB-83A4-4F02-B183-27361C1054E5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.46 MB ID:	32017
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4505.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	32018
          Mako2
          Shamrock Addict
          Last edited by Mako2; 06-15-2021, 05:35 PM.
          Mark
          1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
          1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

• tcf25
            tcf25
            Shamrock Addict
            tcf25 commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't mount the batteries where you have them as that is where my gas tank is located. Mine are in first location but are in a fiberglass battery box

Our center console has a 50 gallon saddle tank on each side of the boat. Am I correct in my understanding that you have a single center line line tank mounted in the compartment in front of the engine? How much fuel does it hold? Wondering why they changed the mounting location.

On our Blackwatch we had a single 300 gallon tank mounted under the cockpit keeping all the weight aft.
          Mark
          1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
          1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

• tcf25
            tcf25
            Shamrock Addict
            tcf25 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes...two compartments directly in front of console are a single center gas tank. It steps down to allow some storage in the second compartment forward of console. Holds 100 gallons
        Working...
        X