Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

PCM Oil Pan R005004A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCM Oil Pan R005004A

Has anyone replaced the oil pan on 351W with the PCM 005004A Pan? If you did go to this pan did you also replace the dipstick? When the engine was out of the boat and on a stand 5 quarts (includes oil in filter) put me at the Add Mark. With the engine back in the boat I had to add the 6th quart and now back to the Add Mark. I am thinking the dip stick is not going far enough to the back of the sump now that the engine is at a angle downward and at this point do not want to add anymore oil till I figure this out. Thanks everyone
    1994 20’ Walk Around
    Rebuilt 351W in 2021
    4 Barrel Holley
    1:1 velvet drive rebuilt 2021

Got any pictures of the new pan? I posted this on CCF a number of years ago but after the site was ransomweared all the pictures were lost but still kinda gives you an idea of how much the oil level changes when the pan is tilted

Comment

Gary, here are some pictures when the engine was still on the stand. Comparing this pan to the original Ford Marine pan the sump is a little bit bigger and the entry for the dipstick tube is more towards the front of the sump verse the middle on the original pan. I did install the original dipstick tube and dipstick. I don't don't mind making a new mark on the dipstick for full the full mark but to get the oil to even show up on the dipstick at the tip I need 5.5 qts. So if the oil goes down more then .5 qts. I wont know what the oil level actually is. That is my concern. For max HP and efficiency I don't want to overfill the oil but with this sump maybe 6 qts will be okay.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PCM Oil Pan2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	31740
      Attached Files
      1994 20’ Walk Around
      Rebuilt 351W in 2021
      4 Barrel Holley

Comment

Interesting pan,thanks for those pictures. Since that is PCM's answer to the unavailable Ford part I wonder if they have a recommendation on which dipstick to use? If you got it through Skidim Vince would probably have an answer. Out of curiosity does it use the original pickup? Clearance to hull bottom ok? Maybe a universal replacement dipstick could be marked. I cannot find any of my old pictures of when I did that test
        gary s
        Shamrock Addict
        Last edited by gary s; 05-24-2021, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Unavailable ? I have a few..
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I did talk to Vince since I got this pan from Skidim.com and asked him if there where any capacity specs pan. His response was that it is a challenge with marine applications because of the angle of the engines to get it just right with a dipstick. HIs position was to go with the 5.5 qts of oil and make a new mark on my dipstick.
            I did use the original pickup. When I had the engine on the stand and with the pan facing up I did a measurement by putting (2) 1/4" rubber strips I had left over from my new fuel tank install and the pan just barely touched the block. I removed (1) 1/4" strip and the pan sat all the way down on the block so the screen is about 3/8" off the bottom of the pan same as the original pan
            The dipstick tube however enters the pan in the front of the sump where on the old pan the tube entered in the middle. So with the angle of the engine that could be a factor.
            My dipstick is 22 1/2" and the next one up is a PCM at 30" which will be too long so the suggestion of going with a universal one is an option. I currently have 6qts.. in the pan and filter and it is right at the Add Mark. My Ford Power Products Service manual for this 351W states for Marine 5 qts plus 1 with a filter change. Another manual states 5.5 qts so I think i should be okay with the 6qts. and using the Add mark as my full mark. Any thoughts on that?
            Thanks Quik Fix for the offer
            shamrod
            Last edited by shamrod; 05-25-2021, 11:03 AM.
            1994 20’ Walk Around
            Rebuilt 351W in 2021
            4 Barrel Holley

Comment

Ok I found my old pictures maybe it will help, maybe it will make you more confused- All these pictures are looking from the back of the stock Ford pan (as used by PCM) toward the front. 0 refers to pan being level like used in a modern ski boat with the PCM trans providing the down angle, 12 being 12 degrees as if it were mounted in a boat using a 1:1 Velvet drive.

0 and 4 quarts

Click image for larger version  Name:	0  4qt full.JPG Views:	0 Size:	439.5 KB ID:	31759

12 and 4 quarts

Click image for larger version  Name:	12 4qt half low.JPG Views:	0 Size:	553.8 KB ID:	31760

0 and 5 quarts

Click image for larger version  Name:	0 5qt.JPG Views:	0 Size:	505.3 KB ID:	31761

12 and 5 quarts

Click image for larger version  Name:	12 5qt over full.JPG Views:	0 Size:	524.9 KB ID:	31762

Keeping in mind that PCM says 4 quarts in the pan,the pan at 4 quarts at 0 degrees shows full but at 12 degrees the stick says it's a half quart low. You can also see that at 12 and 4 and 12 and 5 that the oil level is getting real close to the seal edge between the block and pan. Why not try 4 quarts and mark the stick then 5 and maybe try Vince's recommendations with 5.5 and mark that. Use your original stick at 4 and see if it shows up on it first.
              gary s
              Shamrock Addict
              Last edited by gary s; 05-25-2021, 10:46 PM.

Comment

PS all my PCM books say 4 quarts in the pan run engine and add only enough oil to bring back to full mark on dipstick to replenish amount used by filter

Comment

Thanks Gary for sharing those pictures. I should have done that with the new pan before I installed the pan. That was a great idea. My original pan was similar to your pictures. I did a measurement to see where the stick enters the pan and this replacement pan the sticks goes in at the beginning of the sump whereas the original pan was more in the middle. It is about a 1" difference and with the engine angle could account my oil showing up at Add with 5.5 quarts. I pulled my Ford Marine service manual which is a manual for both Industrial power and Marine. For Marine engines they spec 6 quarts with new filter. So I should be good for the break-in start-up.
                  1994 20’ Walk Around
                  Rebuilt 351W in 2021
                  4 Barrel Holley

Comment

Working...
                  X