Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

pulling the engine in a 20' open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulling the engine in a 20' open

hey all,

Questions - My engine bed needs replacing, on 1988 20 open , was in the boat measuring engine mounts and depth of the oil pan so I can build a dolly for it and am curious if the engine can be removed with the engine mounts attached. It appears the the engine would need to be tilted as the mounts are wider than the deck opening.

or did you have to disasseble the mounts before lifting the engine out?

I have never done this before so need some help/pointers.

1) for those of you that have removed engines did you build a dolly? I was thinking to use some 2 x 8 (triple) I have for the the bed to support the engine mounts and some 2 x 6 (double or triple) as cross member and put some wheels on them. I was thinking some knee braces on the outside of the 2 x 8s.. Anyone have some suggestions?

2) how many lifting lugs on the engine did you use? There are 2 eye bolts already there.

regards

I've done it about 2 dozen times. Everything from the gear flange to the crank mount pump stays. I have a forklift.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

This is how I did it

https://forum.classicshamrock.net/fo...er/652-repower
      '78 20ft Cuddy
      Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Quick, Excuse my ignorance but I need some clarification.

Are you saying everything mounted to block from the transmission / shaft flange, including engine mounts to the front of the engine including alternator /water pump? meaning everything

Pedlyr,

I could not zoom in to get detail but it looks like your engine block was pretty much bare of components. I guess your intent to replace the engine is different as I hope to re-install mine . The hr gauge only shows 461 hours ( I believe it is a ford 302 pleasurecraft). Seems to run nicely and smooth and starts right up.

Love the gantry, it awesome. I have the lumber to build one but thought I might rent one for under 150.00 and save my lumber for a shed. I got a bunch of 2 x 4, 6 8 10, 12 x 14 ft long from my new neighbor . He used them for his slab/foundation forms.

regards

Comment

I was replacing with a long block so it was almost easier to remove the peripherals on the engine in the boat first. Then clean parts and organize as you go. I have done it both ways. On the install it is easier to put as much on the engine as possible first. Especially the raw water pump on the Mercruiser. I never put the exhaust manifolds, carb or distrbutor on till in the boat. Just easier to get pic points. I wouldnt be afraid to take something off the engine to facilitate the engine swing. Its better than breaking it.
          '78 20ft Cuddy
          Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Yes everything is how I do it. Putting the engine together standing is a lot easier for me than crunched over in the boat.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...
            X