Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mufflers

Repowering the 26 so now is the time to make it a little quieter. This is what I have and hey don't do anything. Maybe if they are installed differently. I had them at the stern. Click image for larger version

Name:	primex.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	3.97 MB
ID:	31354
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

I did the same Jerry and had about the same results. Some ski boats had carpet remnants wrapped around them as well,I wonder if that helps. When I go to the new engine I'm going to try a different setup - a late model skiboat muffler with 3 1/2 inlets and one 4" outlet and see what that does.

Comment

I still think the rubber elbows on the exhaust thru hulls did more to quiet mine than the rubber mufflers, the centek ones like you have and the flappers in the thru hulls combined.
      Atlantic City, NJ
      1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

I have rubber turn downs on the thru hulls. My boat is VERY load.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I have some large mufflers with 4" in and out. Don't know how that would affect the 3" exhaust.
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Mine are already 4" from the risers which are 3-1/2" through the thru hills.(used to be mine. Sorry Greg)
            Atlantic City, NJ
            1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Has anyone been on a 26' inboard , of any make, that wasn't loud? If so, what are the differences between our Shamrocks and the "quiet"
              26' inboard.

Comment

I’ve been working on my rig since I purchased and splashed it a few times and she’s quiet as can be. Granted I’m used to my work boat which is loudest thing in the gulf. When I’m back home from work I can see what mufflers are installed.

Comment

Jerry you could always switch over to an electric motor and have the quietest Shamrock on the planet. A nice 250 KW motor would have approximately the same same HP as a 383 stroker and as much torque as the Cummins diesel. It would develop full torque at 1 RPM. The motor would not be much larger than a 5 gallon pail and would not need a transmission. I know it’s sacrilegious to speak of electric power on this site.
                  Mark
                  1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
                  1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

• Fisherlady2
                    Fisherlady2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Curious.... how many batteries would it need and how many hours would you have full power available?

Karen that is a good question but one I don’t have a definitive answer for. I would think a 144 volt system with a 300Ah battery pack would work for me . It s something I will research much more throughly when it is time for my repower. (Still running the original 1990 351W). That should give me enough range and run time for the way I mostly use the boat which is bottom fishing in the ocean within 10 miles of the inlet.
                  Mark
                  1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
                  1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

Working...
                  X