Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Transmission leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission leak

So I have cleaned the bilge and put a piece of cardboard under the transmission. Nothing has dripped on it in 24 hours. I did however rotate my driveshaft 180 degrees when I put the cardboard down and noticed it was wet where the shaft flange mates the trans output flange. What is supposed to seal the splines? Some reading I’ve done has said there is supposed to be a sort of seal there, others have said to just use a rtv or a thread sealer. Aside from loose lines this should be an easy fix. I’m interested to hear your opinions.
    thanks, Adam

Originally posted by Triton10 View Post
    So I have cleaned the bilge and put a piece of cardboard under the transmission. Nothing has dripped on it in 24 hours. I did however rotate my driveshaft 180 degrees when I put the cardboard down and noticed it was wet where the shaft flange mates the trans output flange. What is supposed to seal the splines? Some reading I’ve done has said there is supposed to be a sort of seal there, others have said to just use a rtv or a thread sealer. Aside from loose lines this should be an easy fix. I’m interested to hear your opinions.
    thanks, Adam
    Adam I rebuild marine transmissions for a living on those velvet Drives just need to replace the output shaft seal and make sure you use any RTV sealant on the spines of the output shaft and you are done, this is not in the velvet drive service manual but believe me this will solve your problem, feel free to ask me any questions

Comment

Originally posted by Performancenautic View Post

Adam I rebuild marine transmissions for a living on those velvet Drives just need to replace the output shaft seal and make sure you use any RTV sealant on the spines of the output shaft and you are done, this is not in the velvet drive service manual but believe me this will solve your problem, feel free to ask me any questions
      thank you for the advice. I do have another question for you. From what I’ve read the reduction transmissions have a crush sleeve or sorts that keeps the preload on the bearings. Should I measure the rotating torque on the output? That is if the nut has not backed off. Also what should I torque the new nut to when I go back together? Thanks so much in advance
      adam

Comment

• Performancenautic
        Performancenautic commented
        Editing a comment
        Don’t worry about the crush sleeve and for the torque use a battery impact wrench for loosing the nut it will be easy and when ready to torque back also use the impact tool until you feel a little drag on the output flange of corse with the transmission in neutral and use Loctite thread locker on the treads of the nut and you will be ok
    Working...
    X