Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Pre-launch Mayhem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-launch Mayhem

Long story short, new drive shaft, mechanical seal, cutlass, manifolds and risers has turned into the boat in pieces but slowly coming back together. My OCD got the best of me and I don't know when to stop pulling the thread on the unraveling sweater. Here's the list... carb rebuild, new intake manifold gaskets, new valve covers and gaskets, new fuel filters (housing threads were stripped and someone had installed a half assed helicoil), Thru-hulls pulled and seacocks installed, paint motor, paint bilge, motor mounts, repair motor mount beds, epoxy 1 million unused screw holes, new exhaust thru hulls, new tiller arm, new rudder port, all teak refinished, new gauges, new switch panel, basically full rewiring. I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out, I have so many boxes in my house I don't know what I have anymore. Here's a few pics and I'll continue to update, not sure if the topside will get painted before I launch May1. Oh yeah, ripped the hydraulic trim tabs out and installed Bennett electric with indicator switches (pump and lines were toast).
    Attached Files

Looking good!
    If nothing else, you should feel better/safer when out on the water!
    1986 26' HT w/5.7 PCM 330HP RWC

Comment

Nice work with some creative woodworking. What are the boats details?
      1980 pilot house 351
      1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Sounds about right for a shamrock owner.

Comment

Nice looking work!
          👍

Comment

We feel your pain, but you will be very pleased with the result! Looking really good and like Radioman said, will be peace of mind when you get out on the water. Hate to add a job to your list but since you have the boat pulled apart you may want to pressure test your fuel tanks and give the fuel lines a good once over.
            Karen
            Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
            1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
            1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
            3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Yes the boat looks nice... For the time being, BUT THE engine puller is really nice !!! Now that's a compliment.
              Atlantic City, NJ
              1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Originally posted by Ship View Post
                Yes the boat looks nice... For the time being, BUT THE engine puller is really nice !!! Now that's a compliment.
                Thanks! My neighbor has a boom truck but can't get under the top with it, with the engine in the back it's a 10 minute job.

Comment

Originally posted by My My Hey Hey View Post
                  Nice work with some creative woodworking. What are the boats details?
                  Which details?

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherlady2 View Post
                    We feel your pain, but you will be very pleased with the result! Looking really good and like Radioman said, will be peace of mind when you get out on the water. Hate to add a job to your list but since you have the boat pulled apart you may want to pressure test your fuel tanks and give the fuel lines a good once over.
                    The PO had the tanks glassed. I'm 100% afraid to open the fuel tank compartments at this point lol. I'll uncover more projects.

Comment

Fiberglassing fuel tanks is basically building a fiberglass box around the aluminum tank. Tank will still corrode but gas is contained.
                      1988 26' cuddy
                      1975 20' open
                      16' Sandpiper
                      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
                        Fiberglassing fuel tanks is basically building a fiberglass box around the aluminum tank. Tank will still corrode but gas is contained.
                        Yup, I don't like it at all. But they're gonna have to last me another season. My problem is if I open the compartment I won't be able to live with what I see. Fuel lines are pretty new and I don't smell gas from the limber holes so I think I'm safe. It's only gas anyway, what's the worse that can happen?

Comment

A couple of progress pics from today, I'll be able to sleep better at night after this is done!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like the 12 drunken elves that did my original wiring, did your "before" work. Those guys got around.

Beautiful job!

Comment

• Ship
                              Ship
                              Shamrock Addict
                              Ship commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The elves that did my old boat must have gone the the school of 13. I could never find an end that terminated anywhere. My son rewired mine and I hired one of those same elves to troubleshoot a problem. Oh well sorry Greg but you have an elven mess again.

A little update. She runs, carb adjusted and timing set. Doesn’t want to start warm without a quick blip of the throttle but if that’s all I have to deal with I’m happy.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X