Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Hi Tek Stainless exhaust manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C Rhodes Thanks for the input. I went through and took all hoses loose replaced all with new, checked impeller and pump. all looked good. In the thermostat housing there is not any flow restriction I could tell. There was some debris....very little in the transmission cooler. All clean now.

I think you are correct on the high teks I dont think the pump supplies enough water. They are are a 3.5" outlet compared to stock 3" manifolds. With the routing of the hoses and angle needed I think they were going to be problems. So the manifolds and risers are back to stock. Gonna run it after this holiday weekend and see how she does.

Comment

Good luck. Please let me know how it works. I actually bought a set of 3" near-new manifolds from a fellow shamrock but hoping to get some use out of my NEW 3.5" PCM risers. Life is happening and haven't had a chance to get back on the boat to try the 3/8" version of flow orifices. Will update when I have a chance to test them.
      C Rhodes
      26' Mackinaw - 1990
      351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
      351 PCM (2006 - Current)
      Southport, NC

Comment

Hmmmm. Read this thread the other day. When I flush out my system with a hose while at idle, I get more water from my port exhaust than the starboard. I have 3.5" Barr-style risers .However, after running around the Long Island Sound today, I checked temps of the risers and exhaust hoses. Both sides were within a couple of degrees of each other. For instance, both risers were ~133 F. I would assume that when at moderate potential, the pumped volume is equalizing the flow. I'm not always right, but I'm always damn close, LOL!

Edit: I forgot to add that with the previous 3" risers, flow at idle was equal. Everything regarding the entire cooling system is that same as it is now, including all hoses. I only replaced manifolds, risers, exhaust tubes, and exhaust thru-hulls.
        Deputyrpa
        Good Guy
        Last edited by Deputyrpa; 06-19-2021, 06:21 PM.
        1987 26' Hardtop
        1996 20' Walkaround Cuddy

Comment

Deputyrpa,

Have not been able to get back to my boat due to "life's events" but at higher rpm there is probably sufficient flow to force enough water into both sides. At low rpm, as when you are flushing on the garden hose with less water volume, that is when I really see the problem. Could not tell if you measured temps at idle when running your boat in Long Island Sound. I literally had my hoses smoke before only to cool with higher rpm.

What kind of pump do you have? Crank-mounted for pulley/belt driven?
          C Rhodes
          26' Mackinaw - 1990
          351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
          351 PCM (2006 - Current)
          Southport, NC

Comment

Working...
          X