Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

fuel tanks question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tanks question

Any tips on assessing the integrity of the fuel tanks ? I have a 1988 20' open I am intending to get sea worthy this spring and the fuel tanks is something I think I should address before she gets in the water.

Thanks

The deck plates come off but if foamed in, you will need to remove the foam because the tanks usually corrode between the foam and tank. And particularly on the bottom. If they have been replaced, check to see if they were coated.
    Atlantic City, NJ
    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

You could pressure test. Just a few pounds and see if it holds overnight.
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• Ship
        Ship commented
        Editing a comment
        By far the easiest if you have the equipment. Or are willing to buy it.

Just plug up the lines and use a test plug from the plumbing section. Hand bycicle pump should work. I made my own air fitting years ago. Think easy and cheap and you'll come up with something.
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Did you do the plugging and adding fitting at the tank after removing the decking or did you do it somewhere else?

Also the deck sections have some caulking in the seams. What brand/type of caulking would you use when replacing the deck sections?

Thanks again

Comment

It is easier with the deck plates off and lets you see if something is amiss. I don't reseal.
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

If you do prefer to reseal I would just use Boatlife, it is easy and cuts away easily later when you want to lift the panels again... it also cleans easily.
            Karen
            Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
            1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
            1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
            3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Yes, what Karen said and whatever you do, don't use silicone.
              1988 26' cuddy
              1975 20' open
              16' Sandpiper
              14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Or 5200. Or so I'm told. I have used it an removed them again but now I would recommend Boatlife as well.
                Atlantic City, NJ
                1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Do they leak? If not, a pressure test may not tell you much. Just my humble opinion. Assess by pulling them. You may be surprised what you find on a 33 year old tank.
                  What Ship said on corrosion spots.

Comment

Working...
                  X