Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

transom material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transom material

Hi folks, I have a 1988 20 open and will need to repar a gelcoat crack right up the middle of the transom. Is the transom cored or is it all glass?

My 82 was an inner shell, a plywood backer and an outer hull. They weren't bonded together. Not sure about other years.
    Atlantic City, NJ
    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Just a cosmetic problem. That is the "Shammie" crack from where the 2 hull parts are joined. The 88 will have plywood above the waterline, solid glass below.
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's come up before. It does appear the crack disappears at the waterline when it gets to the bottom paint.

Hope the plywood core is dry.... Is the plywood sandwiched between glass layers?

As I am new to this type of work, I believe I will try to grind the gelcoat out to glass(?) and fill with epoxy, fair and prime. I hope to eventually paint with 2 part paint. Don't know at this point if I can leave the primer for a while.

I have tons of thing to do so this, fix all the chewed up screw holes for console and decking under the seat and get the engine running again ( starter circuit problem) will be among my first dives into the spring campaign lol...

Been retired for 2 years now and have not yet been able to focus my time on the boat I bought 3 years ago due to honey do's and house repairs/refurbs...

Hopefully it all starts coming together soon ...

Comment

If it were my boat, I would not worry about the "Shammie" crack and devote my time to things that need to be done. We all heve the centerline crack.
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

LOL...thank you for your response and advise, I appreciate your help

Sounds like the crack is going to the back of the line, being replaced by wiring, switch replacement, lights, fabrication of a new keel shoe (316 ss), hull gouges, rudder post/linkage refurb etc. etc. etc. lol...

anyone have a good source for wiring harnesses and basic electronic devices ie. starter relay, solenoid, switches etc.? Ordering multimeter from amazon tonight...

I was looking at NEW WIRE company to buy switches if they can be used on my existing dash panel, anyone replace their switches and used oem panel?

Thanks for your responses and thanks for this forum and the wealth of info I have barely scratched

Comment

Working...
            X