Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

How many hours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many hours?

I normally change out my impeller every winter, and the old one I pull out always looks brand new. I don't work for a living anymore; I just work. So, the price of a new impeller makes a difference in my monthly budget. I figure the best way to determine when to change an impeller is number of hours of service, not years.

So my question: How many hours can I run an impeller before I should change it?

Thanks!

Clint Smith
    Idaville, Oregon
    '93 22' Warrior (Walkaround)

My Yanmar manual says every 500 hours or two years, whichever comes first.

Comment

All my boats have the crank mounted pumps, so changing the impeller is simple. I check it every year or whenever I may feel it is needed. I run through a lot of bottom . I change as needed. Carry a spare.
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

In my opinion it all matters what kind of water you run in. Where I live there is always sand suspended in the water so I try to check it every year and change it out regardless even if it sits that long every 3.
        Atlantic City, NJ
        1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Thanks guys! Good info.
          Clint Smith
          Idaville, Oregon
          '93 22' Warrior (Walkaround)

Comment

I think this, like all other maintenance issues, will vary with boats and how they are used. I believe that owners should LOOK at the engine and all the parts regularly. Hoses, seacocks, filters, etc. Nothing hard about lifting the hatch before or after each trip. And exercise those seacocks and tighten the hose clamps. You can do it while waiting for the wife to get all her stuff together .
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• radioman
              radioman commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you saying the wife is slow to get on the boat?

I'll never understand why we need a bag full of stuff to go for a 1 hour ride. Get it all together and carry on the boat. Ride, get it all together and take it off the boat. "You never know when you will need something". Right.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...
            X