Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Moving Batteries on 20 Cuddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Batteries on 20 Cuddy

As many of you probably are, I'm starting to think about my winter wish list. But, I'm not ready for the pink stuff to go in yet, so don't rush me! Anyway, I hate the battery bridge. Anyone done something creative to move the batteries to an alternate location on a 20 cuddy?
    Chip
    Camden, Delaware

1989 Shamrock 20 Cuddy Cabin (Rock Bottom)
    PCM 302, RWC

I've had them in the step down area to the cuddy but it seemed to make the bow drop down more. With my lard butt and the batteries the boat was nose heavy. I moved them to under the starboard side under the gunnel about midship. That is where they currently are.
    Atlantic City, NJ
    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

I bought my 20/Cuddy with the bridge removed and the batteries mounted in the step down. I've not noticed any bow down tendencies. If you need more info I may have answers or pics. I do have oversized trim tabs and a V-6 not a V-8, which probably is in my favour.
      Enjoy,
      Tony

1981 20 ft cuddy
      4.3L Chev V-6

Comment

Tony, I have a pipe top and a radio box PLUS my 350lbs. I don't think everyone will have that issue.
        Atlantic City, NJ
        1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

I have 2 group 27's in my step down area as well. I have no choice as I cant use the bridge with a Chevy 350 installed.
          '78 20ft Cuddy
          Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Chip - It appears that how your boat is set up regarding weight forward, moving batts to the step well could make a difference. Are you prepared to increase tab size? Is your boat stock or custom like Ship's?
            Enjoy,
            Tony

1981 20 ft cuddy
            4.3L Chev V-6

Comment

I have a large "box" behind my center console that acts as a storage box and leaning post. My batteries are in that.
              1988 26' cuddy
              1975 20' open
              16' Sandpiper
              14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

This is all good info guys. I've got a totally stock cuddy. I don't even have a bimini top on the thing let alone a pipe top like Ship's. Stock RWC 302 also.

I had thought about maybe modifying the fish cooker to mount the batteries back there, but don't really think I've got the height, nor the ventilation I'd like to see around them. Also don't really want to have any potential for floating batteries in the event of mounting them in the bilge. Sounds to me like I really only have two options:
                1) deal with the bridge
                2) entertain moving them to the step down and potentially needing larger trim tabs

I do like the idea of mounting some battery boxes out to the side like Ship suggests. Don't know if I'd like the looks of seeing them all the time though. Lots to entertain.
                Chip
                Camden, Delaware

1989 Shamrock 20 Cuddy Cabin (Rock Bottom)
                PCM 302, RWC

Comment

I was just thinking about this for my 1988 20 open, in my case moving the batteries in the compartment in front of the engine. I saw they did that on the Florida Sportsman refurb of a 20 open (pinned on the new web site) and it makes a lot of sense as my current bridge is in poor shape and will require mods to add a good battery hold down and the whole assembly is in my way every time when poking about the engine.

Anyone else move them up front and if so how did it work out?

Comment

Working...
                  X