Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Need new engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some where between "gonna do it"...and..."right this time"...is where I always stumble!
    LOOKING GOOD Jerry. You said earlier that you would run same prop i think. Will you do anything to prop beforehand?

Comment

No, just run a sander over the edges. My props take a beating and I usually change them at least twice a year. This one looks OK for now. Edges are like razor blades. I run a lot of sand and mud.
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Rudder fell out. Took everything apart and have it figured out now. The gear is a 72C instead of the 71C which was in the boat. I have 1.75" between the cutlass and prop. I don't see a problem so that will stay. If there is a problem it will be easy enough to take everything apart. All back together and the HE and hoses mounted. Relocate the bilge pumps and switches and clean up the wiring. New shaft zincs. Spare belt in place. Next I'll wire the engine and then I can figure where the console will go. Then I can make a plan for the new engine box and hatch. Did I say this was a simple drop in?
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Simple is relative. Can't wait to see the results.
          1980 pilot house 351
          1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Amazing what can be accomplished with good knowledge, skilled hands and a place to do the task. Thank you for continuing to inspire the rest of us to be better at maintaining our boats.
            Mark
            1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
            1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

The 1.75" bt cutless and prop....if there were a problem, what do you imagine it would be, or i guess im asking, how would you know also?

Comment

Originally posted by Boatsparky View Post
                The 1.75" bt cutless and prop....if there were a problem, what do you imagine it would be, or i guess im asking, how would you know also?
                Good question, maybe some vibration?
                1988 26' cuddy
                1975 20' open
                16' Sandpiper
                14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Harmonic distortion would cause the shaft to fail from metal fatigue. It is why they put pillow blocks on long runs of shafts that have torque on them. It looks like bending or like how the draw a serpent only on very small loops. Or wave lengths on an ocillascope hence the term harmonic.
                  Last edited by Ship; 10-31-2020, 07:50 AM.
                  Atlantic City, NJ
                  1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Originally posted by Boatsparky View Post
                    In my experience any shaft issues shows up in the bearings or the gear. I just put in a new Twin Disc gear in a commercial fishing boat with a 5" shaft because it was misaligned and the Babbit shaft bearing was toast (probably because of the alignment). So if the shaft sticks out to far passed the Cutlass, you can get shaft whip. Usually shaft survives but not the associated components. We dont have any drive shaft bearings besides the Cutlass in Shamrocks.
                    '78 20ft Cuddy
                    Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Back a bunch of years ago, we had a rash of shaft failures that were posted on SBO. No apparent reason was ever given but there was an article posted by someone about harmonic stress. It was from one of the boat guru's site.
                      Atlantic City, NJ
                      1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Ed and skip, I think with only 1 3/4 ", I'll be OK here.
                        1988 26' cuddy
                        1975 20' open
                        16' Sandpiper
                        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• Ship
                          Ship commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Like I said, I've got 2 plus inches hanging out with no problems after 200 hrs or so.

Got it. That makes sense. Ive seen the effects of shaft whip due to harmonics on extremely long, very large pump shafts.

Comment

Got engine all done but no gas in carb. Guess I'll have to rebuild it. That is not something that I am comfortable with but Hobbs is no longer and a new one is $300. Had to make the engine box 8" longer so I glassed the sides and top. Finally something I know how to do. Sanded the cap while waiting for the resin to set up, will paint it tomorrow. Will sand and paint the console/engine box also.
                          1988 26' cuddy
                          1975 20' open
                          16' Sandpiper
                          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Regarding the carb. If there is gas coming from the fuel pump (loosen/disconnect fuel line at carb and verify there is gas) but not getting to the carb it is likely a stuck float. Sometimes you can tap on the carb with a pair of channel locks and the float will break free. (Ask me sometime how I know.)
                            C Rhodes
                            26' Mackinaw - 1990
                            351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
                            351 PCM (2006 - Current)
                            Southport, NC

Comment

I have used this gentlemen before, about 3 - 4 years ago. Bought a rebuilt quadrajet still going strong. Not sure if he is still open.
                              https://www.b2byellowpages.com/compa...arburetor.html
                              '78 20ft Cuddy
                              Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Working...
                              X