Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Need new engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's got to look pretty interesting. I can't wait to see pictures Jerry. And HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS TO YOU SIR!
    Chip
    Camden, Delaware

1989 Shamrock 20 Cuddy Cabin (Rock Bottom)
    PCM 302, RWC

Comment

Think I'll put it in tomorrow. Its a beast. Click image for larger version

Name:	170.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	4.93 MB
ID:	29195 Click image for larger version

Name:	1701.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	4.72 MB
ID:	29196
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Jerry, when you change engines like this, I imagine there's quite a bit of engine mount modification to be done. Do you modify the bed or the mounts or both?
        is that tranny from another engine or was it already mated to that engine?
        Old man with novice questions, sorry about that.

Comment

Its hot rodding. Had to make new beds and a front mount. Had to make a bracket so I could use a crank mount RW pump. Cut the bulkhead. Needed an adapter plate made for the bellhousing. That was aleady done when I got it. VD was on it. Bought new tranny mounts and it should be easy to line everything up. When I set it in I'll know what else needs to be done. Pertronix ignition, Arco starter and alternator, no cheap stuff. Since the 4.3 and this engine are both Mercruisers, I'm using the same wiring harness. This swap is simple and straight forward.

The pile is getting smaller. Sold the PH and a VD today.
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Your idea of simple and my idea of simple are way different!!
            Karen
            Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
            1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
            1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
            3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	1706.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.86 MB ID:	29212 Well turns out it is not so simple. Nothing my friend the sawzall and I couldn't handle. Bulkhead had to go.Gear flange is 5" and my shaft has a 4". We all Click image for larger version  Name:	1702.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.34 MB ID:	29210 Click image for larger version  Name:	1703.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.91 MB ID:	29211 know how much fun it is to remove the shaft flanges. 2 hour job turns into 2 days. Anything unusual about that?
              1988 26' cuddy
              1975 20' open
              16' Sandpiper
              14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Looking good! Don't fit? Make it fit!

The sawzall and oxy/acetylene are two of my favorites
                Steve
                1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

You guys have more guts than I have. I get nervous putting a screw hole in sometimes.
                  Chip
                  Camden, Delaware

1989 Shamrock 20 Cuddy Cabin (Rock Bottom)
                  PCM 302, RWC

Comment

Good looking job! Nice amount of fabricating and modifying.

Yea, what is it with those shaft flanges?? Are they pressed on or something? I heated the heck out of mine and couldn't get it off. The Sawzall is my friend.

Comment

Dissimilar metals. And time. Combining them causes compression internally. Might as well be pressed. I use neverseize and still have to work at it.
                      Atlantic City, NJ
                      1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Got the couplers off and on, lined up the engine and bolted it up. Hooked up exhaust, fuel and RW hoses. Have to figure what I am doing with the battery and HE. Once I get them hooked up, I'll know what I have to do for an engine box and hatch.
                        1988 26' cuddy
                        1975 20' open
                        16' Sandpiper
                        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

So, this engine gear combo is longer than the previous 4 I have had in this boat. That puts the prop closer to the rudder. Question, how close is too close. Also the safe distance btw the cutlass and prop. Do I have to remove the shaft and cut it ?
                          1988 26' cuddy
                          1975 20' open
                          16' Sandpiper
                          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

From the old threads on SBO, 1-1/4 times the diameter of the shaft to the cutlass. I have been running mine close to 2-1/4 from it but am wondering if that is smart. I didn't want to have to remove the coupling and cut the shaft because there isn't enough keyway to use. So I'd have to take it to a machine shop. There aren't any close by anymore.
                            Last edited by Ship; 10-26-2020, 04:36 PM.
                            Atlantic City, NJ
                            1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

I've been told 1-1/2 times the shaft diameter is an acceptable distance for the prop and Cutlass. So 1" shaft means after 1-1/2" its too long. When I put my Drivesaver on it exceeded this so I had an inch cut off and re-keyed the shaft on the coupling side.
                              '78 20ft Cuddy
                              Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

OK, I'll replace the shaft. I have one that is the right length so I don't have to cut one. Remove the prop and the flange should come right off. Think I can get it out without removing the rudder. If I have to drop the rudder, thats no big deal. Gunna do it right this time.
                                1988 26' cuddy
                                1975 20' open
                                16' Sandpiper
                                14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...
                                X