Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Need new engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new engine

Best place to buy a NEW 4.3. Complete engine. I'm 75 years old in 2 weeks and I deserve it.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    31 Grand Slam
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Don't know but Happy Birthday Jerry

Comment

An early Happy Birthday. Spoil yourself, it’s well earned.
      Mark
      1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
      1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

Never mind, forgot I have a new Mercruiser 4 cyl in my pile. Think they call it a 170. Perfect for my beater.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        31 Grand Slam
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• Lyle
          Lyle commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerry, When I was in the marine business I found the very best place to get an engine was a boat manufacture. I could get an engine and outdrive as a package for less than an engine at the normal marine services, If I was doing an inboard I ran a fair profit on the repower and then had a new outdrive for sale.

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
        Never mind, forgot I have a new Mercruiser 4 cyl in my pile. Think they call it a 170. Perfect for my beater.
        A pile! The man just happened to have a NEW motor in his "pile". I'm definitely doing something wrong...... Jerry, you are my hero!
        C Rhodes
        26' Mackinaw - 1990
        351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
        351 PCM (2006 - Current)
        Southport, NC

Comment

Originally posted by crhodes View Post

A pile! The man just happened to have a NEW motor in his "pile". I'm definitely doing something wrong...... Jerry, you are my hero!
          Yup, bought it with a bunch of other stuff about 2 years ago. I fell off the wagon briefly. I removed the HE and will mount it remotely. It will give access to the entire engine for service. Looks like this may be a really good choice for a 20'er. HE looks like it could cool a Detroit diesel. Engine is complete and ran on a stand when I bought it. Only has time on the stand, and it has a VD attached.
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          31 Grand Slam
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I had piles but no new anything in it. Wow.
            Atlantic City, NJ
            1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

For 2 years I have been fighting with the 4.3. I have the Mercruiser 4 cyl, 170 HP all cleaned up, new ARCO starter and alternator. Made a bracket so I could use a crank mounted RW pump. New engine mounts, Pertronix ignition and had to make new engine beds in the 20. So I figured, why not do everything. All new hoses and relocating the battery and bilge pumps and switches. Engine takes up more space than the 351. Gutted and pressure washed the bilge today and will paint it tomorrow. Putting a lot into a beater boat but I plan on keeping it forever.
              1988 26' cuddy
              1975 20' open
              31 Grand Slam
              16' Sandpiper
              14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Takes up more space? How on earth will you be able to fit it in? I can hardly see the bilge!

Comment

It's taller and longer but narrower. I'll post some pictures as I get further along. This 4 cylinder is a beast. Neat with the cooling mounted.
                  1988 26' cuddy
                  1975 20' open
                  31 Grand Slam
                  16' Sandpiper
                  14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Happy birthday Jerry
                    Karen
                    Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
                    1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
                    1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
                    3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Thank you Karen. The starter, mounts and alternator I got with the engine worked but I want everything new so, those were my birthday present.
                      1988 26' cuddy
                      1975 20' open
                      31 Grand Slam
                      16' Sandpiper
                      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

This engine is single exhaust, 3". Do y'all think I need to enlarge the exhaust thru hull on the 20. Just going to close off one.
                        1988 26' cuddy
                        1975 20' open
                        31 Grand Slam
                        16' Sandpiper
                        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Dry pipes, turned skyward, metal flappers .... engine dialed up n SMOKIN!! Now that would turn some heads.

What size exhaust is on the 20 now? I would imagine you wouldn't want to restrict the flow if its smaller than 3". How do diesels respond to back pressure?

Comment

Not diesel. Basically 1/2 a Ford 460 . Look um up. Popular with street rodders on the left coast. When Merc marinized the engine, they made the exhaust and expansion tank as one unit.
                            1988 26' cuddy
                            1975 20' open
                            31 Grand Slam
                            16' Sandpiper
                            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...
                            X