Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Oil leak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak...

Ok, so I'm seeing some oil in the bilge, not a lot but enough to cause concern.
    I think my rear main seal is the source, the bottom of the bell housing is wet with oil & goo.

My question is this... does the "oil leak sealant" stuff in the bottle that you add to the crank case actually do anything to reduce the leaking?
    I'm not looking for a "cure in a bottle" but just trying to buy time till end of season when i can pull the tranny and do the proper fix.

Any thoughts?
    1986 26' HT w/5.7 PCM 330HP RWC

I have used it. Barr's I think. It worked for a little while but once the crank starts moving, a new seal and many times the bearings need replacement. Not trying to be a bummer.
    Atlantic City, NJ
    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

We know it is in for some maintenance, just hoping it wont end the season too soon. We only have about 4 more weekends anyway and boat will be moved to the barn for winter storage.
      Karen
      Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
      1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
      1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
      3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Except for a dirty bilge, you just need to keep up on the oil. Back in the day, I didn't worry about gas mileage. I figured quarts of oil per tank full. The oil WILL screw with your bilge pump switch. Float and electronic.
        Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

I can deal with the oily bilge and adding a cup of oil every other trip as long as it's not causing damage. RPM vs speed hasn't changed, no problems shifting in or out of gear, no problems with engine performance that I have noticed. Will be watching it very closely.
          Karen

Comment

Oil in the bilge, thought that was normal.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Karen, oil leakage used to be standard. Only since the neoprene gaskets came into use did clean bilges happen. The new main seal gaskets are neoprene even. Our engines(Ford blocks) have both the old flax and the newer plastic seals depending on age but oil pressure is what you're concerned with. If you lose enough oil the pressure drops. You normally will hear the lifter clatter when that happens. The engine can survive on a little less than 10 psi. A lot of old worn engines, that is all they have at 3400 rpms. Tired for sure but still cranking. Most people don't realize that the crank doesn't touch the bearings. It rides on a film of oil. The bearings are brass covered with babbet. A lead like covering. When you see brass in the oil pan, you're in trouble.
              Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Like Ship said I don't think that vodo elixir will work on a seal where there is too much play in the crankshaft. The only time I would consider it is in the exact situation you are currently in. Try it and report your findings. Curious minds want to know.
                1980 pilot house 351
                1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Check out a parts manual and see if they show what type of seal is in your engine. If it's the newer neoprene type you might get by with replacing it. But the trouble to get there is a royal pain.
                  Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Maybe get lucky and just have to tighten the pan bolts.
                    1988 26' cuddy
                    1975 20' open
                    16' Sandpiper
                    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Oil pressure has remained good, always watch it pretty close anyway, but more so since the oil being more noticeable. No knocking, clattering or strange noises.
                      Karen

Comment

I think y'all just want a new engine and are going through the justifying process.
                        1980 pilot house 351
                        1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Not this year! LOL... just bought a side by side from My mom to get her out from under the payments because she had some unexpected medical problems. It's staying at her place, but that's ok. That was supposed to be my new flatbed money...
                          and I am still upgrading electronics and installing an autopilot. Engine needs to (hopefully) wait another few years.
                          Karen

Comment

Side by side? What gauge?
                            1988 26' cuddy
                            1975 20' open
                            16' Sandpiper
                            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Polaris ranger 900, I helped her spec out 3 last year for the farm, this is the one she picked.
                              Karen

Comment

Working...
                              X