Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Tired of being passed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quik Fix
    replied
    While I really wish I could afford a new engine, I think the simplicity and ease of maintenance on an old school build ais a good thing. Compare Daves new engine to mine. Click image for larger version

Name:	Daves350.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	34389 Click image for larger version

Name:	stroker11.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	34390

Leave a comment:

• Fisherlady2
    replied
    If there is a secure site really close to the boat I would move them to it. Mama bird should hear them and find them easily, just keep it at least semi sheltered from wind and rain. It will be weeks before they are ready to leave the nest. I would be in the same spot, figure they deserve a fair chance.

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    Time to fire it up but the 2 brand new batteries are dead. Bought them last June when the engine was supposed to be ready. Then I find this in my electronics box. Took them out and placed by the windshield and momma bird found them. What to do now? Can't pressure wash with them there. Can't move the boat. Just too much of a softie in my old age to discard them. What to do? Click image for larger version

Name:	baby birds.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	34362

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    Couldn't find any aluminum 1 3/4" fittings. 1 1/2" was too loose.

Leave a comment:

• Ship
    replied
    When I did my sail boat engine, I brought it as a kit and they sent cast aluminum fittings. They would work nicely in your configuration. They were 1-1/4" and 1-1/2".

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    Redid the FW side with galvanized elbows. 1 3/4" hose system but no 1 3/4" fittings anywhere.1 1/4" pipe goes in and tightens down. No leaks. Like the way I've relocated the trim pump, batteries and HE. This engine is easy to service. I can get my chubby hands on everything.

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	26cooling3.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	34331 Click image for larger version  Name:	26cooling1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	34329 Click image for larger version  Name:	26cooling2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	34330 Need to connect the fresh water hoses. From heat exchanger to the expansion tank and expansion tank to thermostat neck.. Need 2 90* elbows. 1 1/2" galvanized pipe screws into the hoses nicely.

Leave a comment:

• crhodes
    replied
    Where are these 1-3/4 fittings going? Yea, fresh water is going to get 200 degrees but few raw water side places get that hot. I recently purchased, at a hardware store, some plastic fittings that are rated for either 200 or 250 degrees. (I too used them in a mockup.) Point being a high temp plastic might be enough if in a lower temp and safe place if it fails.

Regarding galvanized, again it depends where it is going. Not as good as bronze but you may have to settle

What exactly are you looking for.. Threaded both ends, hose both ends, or something in between?

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    Have the cooling system all put together but, It is just to make sure everything will fit. I can't find any 1 3/4" 90* fittings. Have it mocked up with PVC but they won't work with 200* temps. Any reason not to use galvanized pipe fittings?

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    Finally, in the boat. Click image for larger version

Name:	stroker10.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	34205 Click image for larger version

Name:	stroker9.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	34206 I was surprised at how much room there is to work on this engine. I can reach everything. Other SBs in 26'ers that I looked at had no space between the gutter and manifold.

Leave a comment:

• DaveR
    replied
    Looks good Jerry. Great talking to you today. I’ll reach out next week.

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    Originally posted by Pedlyr View Post
    Very nice. Where did you get those exhaust risers? Are they 3"? I like those better then my standard Mercruiser ones.
    Fredwarner,net. Bought a few parts from them. Same day shipping for free.

Leave a comment:

• Pedlyr
    replied
    Very nice. Where did you get those exhaust risers? Are they 3"? I like those better then my standard Mercruiser ones.

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    more, finally done. Will go in boat on Monday.

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	383-3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	34162 Click image for larger version

Name:	383-4.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	34163 Click image for larger version