Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gary s
    replied
    The more complicated these engines get it's going to be harder to find a mechanic. If your good you certainly want to be working all year. To work all year your going to have to go where the work is which makes it tough for the rest of us to find someone. There is a guy on Planetnautique right now with problems with a late model engine. He has been to two mechanics who cannot find his trouble. He lives in Montana and has probably has now gone through all the inboard mechanics in the state.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherlady2
    replied
    Originally posted by gary s View Post

Take care of the one you have Karen,your engine is out of production now. You guys running that in fresh water aren't you? If so it should last for a long time
    Yes it's fresh water now. Hoping to find a similar replacement, will keep this as a running take out for a spare possibly. Want fresh power before retiring so we minimize headaches later on. Around here it is hard to find inboard mechanics and I'd like to do the swap over winter so as not to lose most of our short season to a failure.
    Last edited by Fisherlady2; 08-13-2020, 09:02 AM. Reason: Correcting grammar

Leave a comment:

• gary s
    replied
    Originally posted by Fisherlady2 View Post
    I know when we repower (which should be in 4 or 5 years) I am looking for the same or very similar engine. Very happy with it.
    Take care of the one you have Karen,your engine is out of production now. You guys running that in fresh water aren't you? If so it should last for a long time and when it's time- rebuild it. I bought this GT40 Ford engine from Dave Reed a couple of years ago and am just about done rebuilding it. The plan is to put it in my 20 with a fresh water cooling kit probably next summer. Sure is alot of parts on these newer engines to clean and paint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2324.JPG Views:	2 Size:	885.1 KB ID:	27982
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2326.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	824.3 KB
ID:	27983
    Last edited by gary s; 08-12-2020, 11:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• reefbreak
    replied
    Do what Earl wanted me to do; put a supercharger on the motor. He said I would run with big boys when he was done.

Leave a comment:

• S0uthernrebel78
    commented on 's reply
    That wasn’t on the Shamrock haha, think I accidentally turned on the track one day in the truck

• Quik Fix
    replied
    I have never figured total burn. I like to keep my cruise at more than 2 mpg. Currently if I'm at 3000 and running 19 - 20 MPH I will burn 8.5 gph. With the stroker in this boat, I ran 3 MPH faster and burned 1 gph more. I think that engine with the aluminum heads, extra compression, higher octane and especially the FI will be really good. Dropped the engine off today.

Leave a comment:

• gary s
    replied
    Surplus gas turbine and an Arneson drive or a couple of sheets of plywood for the transom and 2 627 Seven Marines

Leave a comment:

• GREGK
    commented on 's reply
    Ed
    I think Jerry wants your secret on record 67 kts. How stable was she at that speed? LOL

• My My Hey Hey
    replied
    Originally posted by Pedlyr View Post
    I would look at the prop and gear. With a power increase you might have to change a few things. Now you get into prop clearance, shaft size, and reduction ratios as well.
    Is there a formula for all of that Ed?

Leave a comment:

• S0uthernrebel78
    replied
    also I ran another 9 miles before i fueled the boat up the next day so it was really 90nm total burn of 35 gallons
    Click image for larger version

Name:	B7B92A75-3614-4988-BE2D-79BD4C400628.png
Views:	344
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	27973Click image for larger version

Name:	AAC8E2DE-0305-4CCF-8B3A-456D431571AF.png
Views:	343
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	27972

Leave a comment:

• S0uthernrebel78
    commented on 's reply
    Being I am currently over wheeled I know the motor is burning more fuel than it should, Im hoping the wheel i am having worked up now will be better and allow the motor to really run as it should. I’ll post my track and the data for the last trip

• S0uthernrebel78
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you There was a lot of hard work this spring, coming up this winter is a full redo of the topside

• Fisherlady2
    replied
    I know when we repower (which should be in 4 or 5 years) I am looking for the same or very similar engine. Very happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherlady2
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, you are correct, wrong vehicle in my head when typing. It is the 5.7, with the PCM Excalibur conversion

• Quik Fix
    replied
    GM engines turn up a lot more than my 351. The faster you turn the prop, the faster ya go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X