Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Running out of Fuel. Help with tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running out of Fuel. Help with tank

Seen some others have the same problem but could'nt find a solution. 220 open with new tanks. Unless it is absolutely glass flat, the tanks leave a considerate amount of fuel unusable in the tank. The pickup is in the center of the tank, on plane all the fuel goes to the stern. No warning, no sputtering, no rough running. It goes from running great to out of fuel dead. On going problem on both port and starboard tanks. I tested it Yesterday to actually see how much it leaves. Yesterday seas light 1-2' on 7-8 seconds and tank went empty. It left 14-15 gallons in the tanks unusable per topping off via pump on the way home. I always have extra but I dont want to get caught in a storm in a bad spot with 1/3 of my fuel unusable.

So, Anyone have similar problems with fix? Thinking of longer pickup all the way to bottom of tank with elbow? Additional pickup in rear of tank?

Your fuel pick ups should be towards the back of the tank. Not center or forward.

Comment

What Chris said. Move them.
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      31 Grand Slam
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I also thought that. However, they were in the center on the original tanks. Richard at action copied the oem tanks. Attached is the drawing. . You would think it would be a common occurrence? It is a 220 open. So it is pretty light on the bow.
        Last edited by cajunl; 06-22-2020, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Richard was the parts manager for Shamrock and buys from the OEM now as he did then. We are lucky to have him. Sometimes we have to improve on the original.
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          31 Grand Slam
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Also there is a pick-up tube below the access port. On some it was aluminium tube and on others a plastic tube.
            Atlantic City, NJ
            1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Look in the title block of this drawing and you will see acc 3/8" pick up. Then look on drawing for acc and you will see that it is in the lowest corner is the tank. The plastic pick up may have disconnected.
              https://www.dropbox.com/s/l49gebtio7..._PORT.pdf?dl=0
              Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Well popped of the cover and the starboard tank done by the previous owner. The pickup is in front of the tank and also in front of the sender??? I'm going to try a flexible hose pickup and fish it to the stern of the tank. After fishing season gonna take the tank out and do a pickup in the back. I don't think the material is thick enough just to tap it in. I don't see any other way then welding it in.

Comment

It sounds as though he installed a left side tank on the right side. The fix is to bend and flare a metal pick up that will go cross tank to the correct corner. The old tanks used to use copper but that probably isn't a good idea with aluminium tanks. You can get aluminium tube but bending will be very touchy.
                  Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

You could use nylon hose but keeping it in the correct location might be a problem.
                    Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Update. I used a moeller flexible pickup and sent it towards the back of the tank. Yesterday took her out and she was still running with 1/8th of so of fuel left in the tank. Hopefully the screen at the end of the pickup and pulling from bottom of the tank is good till this winter when I can pull the tank and add the pickup.

Comment

• crhodes
                        crhodes commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've never seen one before. Thanks for posting.

Does that tube rotate on the fitting?
                      1988 26' cuddy
                      1975 20' open
                      31 Grand Slam
                      16' Sandpiper
                      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

No, it is crimped on there and does'nt rotate. It has a spring inside the tubing to keep it rigid. It has a weight and screen on the end of the tubing to keep it from floating. I took out the sender and made sure it was in the correct place. Seems so good so far. It was $40 or so on amazon. They have a 22" and 36". They were out of stock on the 36 so went with the 22" one.

Comment

So when you screw it in, it stays in the one spot?
                          1988 26' cuddy
                          1975 20' open
                          31 Grand Slam
                          16' Sandpiper
                          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

It should. You could hear it hitting the side of the tank screwing it in. It is along the edge of the tank in the deepest part. It should not move unless unscrewed. I did not weigh the weight on on the end but it is probably 1 oz or heavier.

I'm going for a week long scallop trip the second weekend of July in the Gulf of Mexico. Ill be running it for 50 miles or so round trip for 7 days. That will put it to the test. If the fix holds up I may leave it. If not ill take the tank out in the off season and weld another pickup in it towards the rear. I am not a big fan of welding a tank that has had fuel in it for obvious reason! lol
                            Last edited by cajunl; 06-30-2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X