Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Fiberglass Question for Jerry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass Question for Jerry

My forward keel suffered some damage prior to my ownership. It was caused by a bad roller on the trailer. I have polyester resin, biaxial cloth, west 105, marine tex, gelcoat, etc. Most of the damage is to the gelcoat and the glass is fraid with some small voids. How would you procede?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tuner; 05-22-2020, 06:59 PM.
    Steve
    1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

If it were my boat, I would mix the poly resin with some fibertech or similar product. Make a paste with a consistency of vasaline. Fill and shape the damaged area. Sanding as needed. Gelcoat, sand smooth and bottom paint.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    31 Grand Slam
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Thanks Jerry!
      Steve

Comment

You're welcome. When you are filling, try to get as much of the damaged area filled. Don't want voids for obvious reasons. This is fiberglass 101.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        31 Grand Slam
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Jerry if he's going to put bottom paint back on why bother to gelcoat?

Comment

It provides a water barrier and when the bottom paint wears off it looks better. Its a finished job instead of half assed.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            31 Grand Slam
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Hope the half assed is not referring to me None of my boats ever sit in the water anyway,it's like leaving your car parked outside the garage. Only my Shamrock has bottom paint to cover the PO's neglect. Part of the problem is the crappy fits all fits none trailers. Even my Slide On trailer on some ramps has trouble. One of the best trailers ever made were Correct Craft trailers,they were made by the company for their boats . If you ever get a chance to watch one or try one check them out. But since the company has sold, they as well are now outsourced and your subjected to the same crappy fitting.

Comment

Not you Gary and George had trailers made for Shamrocks that fit perfectly. I have one for my 20.
                The best repair is the one no one notices.
                1988 26' cuddy
                1975 20' open
                31 Grand Slam
                16' Sandpiper
                14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
                  You're welcome. When you are filling, try to get as much of the damaged area filled. Don't want voids for obvious reasons. This is fiberglass 101.
                  I used 3m high strength filler. The filler faired out nicely and I brushed on some gelcoat.

I think there may have been some mold issues with my boat, I exposed some small voids and even a hidden repair that had glass, gelcoat, glass, gelcoat. I think the void areas just popped under the weight of the boat on the roller. I ground out anything that wasn't solid and gooped it up.

Brushing gelcoat is a PITA. Now that I have tried it, I'm going to spray the subsequent coats and use Duratec like I have on past projects.
                  Steve

Comment

If you zoom in on the second and third images, the "internal gelcoat" is obvious. The keel looks so much better now! I will post some pictures when its done.
                    Steve

Comment

Spraying gelcoat with Duratec is a good idea. I have done it many times over 30+ years. Tip, 2 parts gelcoat, 1 part duratec and 1 part acetone. Small spots a Prevail sprayer is good. Saves a lot of cleanup time. I see the previous repair. Interesting, as if they were trying to build up the keel and make it bigger. Whatever, you have it done.
                      1988 26' cuddy
                      1975 20' open
                      31 Grand Slam
                      16' Sandpiper
                      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...
                      X