Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Problem solvers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the old threads was talking about the need for resistors. Some of the harnesses had one incorporated in the wiring. Not sure which ones.
    Atlantic City, NJ
    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
      How about this, should there be a resistor with the coil? Thunderbolt 4 ignition. Electronic ignition, no resistor !
      I replaced my Thunderbolt IV (V8) with a Delco Voyager last overhaul. I never had a resistor I knew about. I would try the other distributor. Make sure the drive gear isnt worn\

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozhbdpplab...anual.pdf?dl=0
      Last edited by Pedlyr; 06-10-2020, 06:24 PM.
      '78 20ft Cuddy
      Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

I have only noticed resistors on breaker point ignition. Some coils have "external resistor required" printed on them. I have not been able to find a TB IV diagram that includes a resistor, much less any transistor ignition system.
        Steve
        1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

OK then. My engine builder and Tuner are in agreement. An electronic ignition needs 12v. My coil has an internal resister. I'll try a coil without .
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Ran it for longer than usual. No problem. Won't say definitely that I have solved the problem, yet. I did go through all my shop notes and right there in big letters," bypass resistor for EI". 6 weeks of aggravation for one small careless oversite.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Jerry

still curious re the oil dipstick. Any fixes yet? I'm still without a way to read the oil level. What did you replace the old stick with?
              Enjoy,
              Tony

1981 20 ft cuddy
              4.3L Chev V-6

Comment

Didn't fix that yet.
                1988 26' cuddy
                1975 20' open
                16' Sandpiper
                14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...