Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Yanmar 6lp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yanmar 6lp

Hi guys I have a couple if yanmar 6lp questions for you.

1. Have any of you switched out the factory foam filter for a walker airsep and was it worth the expense?

2. How often do you and should you clean the turbo?

Thanks.

I swapped out my foam filter with a new foam filter this past spring. Not familiar with the paper model. I had a mechanic help me with the 1200 hr service two winters ago (new injectors, timing belt, etc). Turbo was cleaned at that time. I checked turbo during this season when I changed the filter and she was clean and spinning freely. Join Boatdiesel.com. You will find answers to any questions there. Fish Witch will probably have more info also. So how is the 28TE treating you?

regards Holty

Comment

Originally posted by holty View Post
      I swapped out my foam filter with a new foam filter this past spring. Not familiar with the paper model. I had a mechanic help me with the 1200 hr service two winters ago (new injectors, timing belt, etc). Turbo was cleaned at that time. I checked turbo during this season when I changed the filter and she was clean and spinning freely. Join Boatdiesel.com. You will find answers to any questions there. Fish Witch will probably have more info also. So how is the 28TE treating you?

regards Holty

Hi Holty! Good to hear from you. The albin is fantastic and has really turned out to be my dream boat. I have just been going through the boat and updating and bringing the motor service up to date. My raw water pump seal started leaking so I had the engine serviced at that time. I was also losing coolant which had me concerned. We removed the air cooler, oil cooler, and heat exchanger, had them cleaned and pressure tested. Replaced all hoses, replaced the zincs, changed the belts, replaced the water pump. I also changed the exhaust elbow and manifold over to stainless. We Found the antifreeze leak to be at the water heater.

The turbo spoiled up fine but I know it has not been cleaned (probably never). When your mechanic cleaned it did he remove it and bench clean it or water clean it under load?

I am replacing the injectors this winter also because I do get some fuel in the exhaust and she smokes like a bandit when cold but does not smoke under load

Comment

jkraft - You've seen my posts on THT about this so won't repeat but do have a question about the amount of oil carryover into your intake. I haven't seen much with over 2000 hours now so unless you're getting a lot and fouling your air cooler, I wouldn't worry about it. There are a few posts on boatdiesel about the Airsep and as Holty says, it's worth joining.
        As for the white smoke at startup, I don't think new injectors will make a difference. I had mine rebuilt when I first got her and no change after wasting $1k on it. It's just smokey when cold, and that may be the cause of the sheen in the exhaust too. You might check your air heaters though they don't seem very effective. I just live with it and don't smoke out my dock mates by trying to warm her up at the dock - she won't. I fire her up and head out right away (the moving smoke screen isn't so bad . Once up to operating temp by running under load (I usually run about a mile at 1400 rpms to get her up to temp before putting the coals to her), she runs clean. It's a diesel after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish Witch View Post
          jkraft - You've seen my posts on THT about this so won't repeat but do have a question about the amount of oil carryover into your intake. I haven't seen much with over 2000 hours now so unless you're getting a lot and fouling your air cooler, I wouldn't worry about it. There are a few posts on boatdiesel about the Airsep and as Holty says, it's worth joining.
          As for the white smoke at startup, I don't think new injectors will make a difference. I had mine rebuilt when I first got her and no change after wasting $1k on it. It's just smokey when cold, and that may be the cause of the sheen in the exhaust too. You might check your air heaters though they don't seem very effective. I just live with it and don't smoke out my dock mates by trying to warm her up at the dock - she won't. I fire her up and head out right away (the moving smoke screen isn't so bad . Once up to operating temp by running under load (I usually run about a mile at 1400 rpms to get her up to temp before putting the coals to her), she runs clean. It's a diesel after all.
          Thanks fish witch! I was hoping you would chime in. Your previous posts on this and other forums has been a huge help to me. You are making me feel a lot better about my smoke for sure. The air heaters are a year old and assumed to be working but is there any quick check I can do to make sure? You aren’t kidding about how long it takes to warm the motor up. Way different than my old 350. I’m getting more familiar with the motor now. This is my first diesel and I want to make sure i am not into anymore surprises. I am a member over at boat diesel but this group feels more like family. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Glad to help. I've had my 270 for 11 years now and put 2000 hours on my 6LPA doing all my own maintenance, like most Shamrockers, and happy to share what I've learned along the way. The air heaters are supposed to kick in at start up and should be easy to check with a volt meter. Note that alternator output is low at startup and current draw from the heaters pull voltage down a bit. the alternator won't kick in until you increase rpms to ~1200 rpms and I'm not sure if that's what turns off the heaters. I've noted quite a bit of variation in the amount of smoke at startup but don't know why. It could be atmospheric conditions or heaters or something else. I've disconnected my heaters and haven't noticed any difference. Anyway, I don't worry about it much.

Comment

I have learned to live with the start-up smoke and the after your trolling a long time smoke. It is just the nature of the beast. I tried chasing this down for a couple of years (and spending a good amount of coin) until my mechanic buddy convinced me to just live with it. So I do. I also live with the sweet 17kt cruise burning only 8 1/2 gallons of diesel per hour pushing a keel hulled 30 footer.

regards Holty

Comment

Originally posted by holty View Post
                I have learned to live with the start-up smoke and the after your trolling a long time smoke. It is just the nature of the beast. I tried chasing this down for a couple of years (and spending a good amount of coin) until my mechanic buddy convinced me to just live with it. So I do. I also live with the sweet 17kt cruise burning only 8 1/2 gallons of diesel per hour pushing a keel hulled 30 footer.

regards Holty
                Thanks Holty, do you get any diesel out of the exhaust? (Some oil in the water)

Comment

Yes, sometimes a fine sheen.

regards Holty

Comment

Working...
                  X