Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Pulley bearings???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulley bearings???

2007 350 Chevy. Bottom front pulley, where RWPump is mounted is wobbling. Also sounds like marbles crunching. Wobbles about 3/4" at idle, smooths out to 1/4" at higher rpms. However, can hardly move it when not running.......anyhow, its bad enough now that I can't ignore it.
    What exactly am I in for???? Do I just pull the three bolts and replace it, or is there a seal?, are the bearings machine pressed?? Is it the location of the engine water pump also????
    Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Ken

Do you have a crank mounted water pump? If so, sounds like the bearings are gone in the pump. If you don't have a crank mounted water pump, you have big trouble. Check to make sure all bolts are snug.
    Atlantic City, NJ
    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

I will try to post some pictures, however it appears that the internal water pump is located behind the top pulley. The bottom pulley has the raw water pump extended out on the end of it, and it (the pulley) is tight up against a round housing that has the timing setting on it. My only saving grace may be if that pulley is warped or has its own bearings and they have gone bad. If the whole shaft is wobbling, then is it into the timing chain/drive shaft??
      Wouldn't be so bad if I just had a wobble, but the clanking noise seems to say something much more serious. I cannot find a diagram of my engine at the PCM site.
      Last edited by Nautipelican; 10-08-2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

There are two water pumps in that location. The higher one is the freash water pump and the lower one is the raw water pump.
        Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Check the bolts and if they are tight look at the harmonic balancer. Make sure your RW pump is mounted correctly. Pulleys don't have bearings.
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          31 Grand Slam
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

OK, so I look up "harmonic balancer" to find out what it is..... can't find any info on it in direct relation to my 350 pcm. Yet that seems like exactly what would be under the round housing that the pulley is mounted on(or through). Is it just hard rubber, or does it have bearings in it?? Just what exactly do I look at?? Going out now to remove raw water pump and pulley........
            OK so I also found a "balancer" listed on the parts page for a 2007 PCM - even though the engine there is not like mine,,.........It appears to be put on with just a center nut. they are also listing a "crankshaft position sensor"-----????

Comment

UPDATE: So I got off water pump after an extended effort, and low and behold, the pulley nut was hand loose. The pulley is in real bad shape, rusty, possibly warped, etc so I ordered a replacement from Skiddum. I think this was my whole problem. I opened up the Johnson pump and the impeller looks perfect....it is at least 6 yrs old, but I've only put a couple hundred hours on the boat.......should I change it?

Comment

• RC65
                RC65 commented
                Editing a comment
                Sure wouldn't hurt at the stage you're at.
                Plus peace of mind its new.

I am a little confused by the description and want to be sure when you say pulley nut youe are not speaking of the damper Pulley itself. If so you should really slide it off and check that it is not beat up and out of round as well as checking the keyway. A small block chevy Damper pulley should be tight on the crank even with the bolt out. If I miss read this so to confuse you.

Comment

OK, the "damper", or "harmonic balancer" whatever you want to call it, appears solid and tight. Its all metal, heavy, and the round object closest to the block.....front is a solid cover.....or appeared so until I got the pulley off- it is webbed, heavy metal, sort of like a bar bell weight. Pulley has ground-out, elongated three holes where the water pump was bolted through it which sort of proves that the pulley was moving around under the waterpump
                I pulled the impeller and ordered another and will keep this one for a spare......all parts sposed to be here tomorrow.

Comment

Sounds like you have a handle on it. Make sure the threads are good in the balancer.

Comment

Put on new pulley and reinstalled johnson raw water pump with new seal and impeller. Seems only thing centering water pump is the taper of the heads on the three bolts. Started engine.........no noise, pulley running true, water pump wobleing all over!!! At least an inch of wobble at idle. Shut down and checked the three bolts on the water pump - they could all be tightened further....hoping that would seat the pump in the right spot - oh uoh.....water dripping from the inside side of the pump. Tried running again anyhow, ran truer than that first time for sure, but still 1/2" wobble........I even tried holding the front of the pump down, up, etc wouldnt make a difference the vibration was still there. ..I think the wobble is in the pump itself.....going to order a new pump I guess.

Comment

They are called a wobble pump for a reason. Just center the pump and line up the bolts as best you can.
                      1988 26' cuddy
                      1975 20' open
                      31 Grand Slam
                      16' Sandpiper
                      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

THanks Jerry, but I think I did it in.....and now I know why the old pulley was so rusty - obviously the water pump has been spewing salt water back on the pulley for some time......now its a continuous drip even when not running. New pump is sposed to be here Tuesday.

Comment

Just an update, Got new pump mounted a day before my son was arriving from California. Everything then ran true, no wobble, no noises. We took her out that next morning 20 miles or so.....trolled, fished all day. Water was really choppy in the AM and not clear. Although fishing was a bust, the wind finally died down and it turned out to be a great day out on the water, boat ran good all day. Probably ran a total of 50-60 miles, used 25-30 gals gas.
                          Just recently spent $1800 and got boat protected with canvas. got unique window coverage, and got cockpit cover. In addition, took out part of the top hand rail, and got bent a new piece of SS to extend out the rear for a 2ft cover over the cockpit. I will post pictures if someone can tell me how to get them off an android phone onto this site.....
                          Regards to everyone, Ken

Comment

Ken, there are a couple ways but since I am assuming you are not real tech savvy, just send yourself an email from your phone with the picture attached, then save it to your computer. Then upload the picture while posting.
                            Last edited by Ship; 11-09-2019, 04:25 PM. Reason: I screwed up on Ken's name. It is pretty bad when you think one name and type another. I suck at names to start with and feel really bad when I screw up or forget.
                            Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Working...
                            X