Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Exhaust redo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust redo

Those of you who have heard my 26 know that I need to do something about the noise level. When it comes out in a couple of months for general maintenance, I need to redo the exhaust but, I have no idea how to quiet it down. I have the long fiberglass mufflers that do nothing. What do y'all 26' owners do with yours? How does your 26'er have the exhaust setup?
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    31 Grand Slam
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

In the beginning of the season, I put 4" PVC down elbows on the ends of the hooters. I feel it made a considerable difference, especially considering the price.

Comment

Do you think the hooters help?
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      31 Grand Slam
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

The elbows did the most for me too. I have Rex flappered through hulls and the rubber mufflers but the ells did by far the most.
        Atlantic City, NJ
        1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Sound down is talked about as being very good too.
          Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Engine box is soundown, 45* on the exhaust thru hulls. Nothing works. Exhaust noise not engine noise as far as I can determine.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            31 Grand Slam
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I have 90 degree ells that are just above the water while on plan. I cut a small vee on the trailing edge to try and prevent vacuum
              Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Surge chambers, exhaust hose laid low in the belly and 90-degree turndowns. The surge chambers, low hose, and the hoot-a-daps were a winner on the Mack.

regards Holty

Comment

Surge chambers and hooters with the Holty adaptation, on the list. Hose lying in the bilge will stay full of water and act as a muffler?
                  1988 26' cuddy
                  1975 20' open
                  31 Grand Slam
                  16' Sandpiper
                  14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Yes, at lower rpm's the water will help muffle the exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                    X