Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Seven years in the water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven years in the water

I looked at a 26' Shamrock that was well maintained until circumstances caused the boat to sit in a boat house in salt water since 2012. The bottom was painted with a barrier coat. There are oysters growing on the trim tabs and the bottom is completely covered with barnicle's. The bilge was so dry it had dust in it.
    What would be the best and worse scenario to fix this?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by My My Hey Hey; 09-09-2019, 07:29 PM.
    1980 pilot house 351
    1988 260 predator 351

Wow...dry bilge? I would imagine have it hauled and soda blasted. The blasting should show blisters etc that may be on the bottom. Then a matter of fixing the blisters and applying a barrier coat. That would be my thinking. I might be doing a little dance with a dry bilge.

Comment

X2 on the soda blasting, and pay someone else to deal with the mess. Sometimes the disposal of the waste can be a PITA and hardly worth investing in the tools and tarps needed to do the job for something done infrequently. Best thing we did for ours. It will give you a fresh start. For inspection purposes you may be able to pressure wash off some of it.
      Karen
      Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
      1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
      1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
      3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Start scraping and see how easily they come off. I deal with this all the time. Hauled the boats for the storm and every bottom was clean except for one side of the 14, which was/is covered with oysters. Maybe I ran out of paint before I got to that side. A long handled ice scraper is handy. Oysters are tough, barnacles, not so bad. Powerful pressure washer may be all you need for the barnacles.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        31 Grand Slam
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
          I'm looking at purchasing this boat and would like to get some sort of an idea on the possible condition of the hull once it's scraped and soda blasted.
          Is it possible that it is not repairable?
          1980 pilot house 351
          1988 260 predator 351

Comment

• tcf25
            tcf25 commented
            Editing a comment
            I would highly doubt that it would be beyond repair. Given that bilge is dry it would seem that hull is not compromised. I would suspect that it would need some glasswork and barrier coat (which i am doing to mine next spring)

I would guess, just a cleaning. Bottom paint and, if blasted, barrier coat.You would be surprised what a powerful pressure washer can do.
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          31 Grand Slam
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Fiberglass is very porous and can soak up water. A lot of hull blistering comes from the bilge end of the hull from water sitting in what can be an untreated area. While blisters can obviously come from the displacement side, I think a dry bilge is a good sign.
            '78 20ft Cuddy
            Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

So inquiring minds want to know. What gives? Are you getting a new project? Pictures would be nice for us poor folks not shopping right now.
              Karen
              Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
              1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
              1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
              3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Make sure to power wash as soon as it's pulled. Once the bottom dries, it is much harder to get the crud off.
                Atlantic City, NJ
                1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Seven years in salt water.... My first concern would be the running gear. The zincs should be long gone, then it likely started eating at the shaft, rudder , trim tabs, and prop. Examine closely for pitting. That said, if the price is right that is easy to replace. Also, the electrolysis MAY have effected the engine if the raw water was solid in the hoses (doubt it bu possible). Not sure how much engine electrolysis would go through the shaft. If the price is right, and otherwise she appears in decent condition, I wouldn't be afraid to gamble and be prepared to change all running gear and engine. I'd haul her and try to get her running then assess what worked before wholesale component replacement.

Kept my boat in the water 5 years between haul outs the last time and no blisters. (Changed zincs in the water.) With the exception of haul-outs, my boat has been in the water since 1991 when purchased. I did have a few blisters in 2003 which were addressed.
                  Last edited by crhodes; 09-11-2019, 10:35 PM.
                  C Rhodes
                  26' Mackinaw - 1990
                  351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
                  351 PCM (2006 - Current)
                  Southport, NC

Comment

Cecil, good point on the corrosion. How much electricity in the area? My 26 has been in the water for 13 years except for the frequent engine change. I have a couple of blisters which I choose to ignore.
                    1988 26' cuddy
                    1975 20' open
                    31 Grand Slam
                    16' Sandpiper
                    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherlady2 View Post
                      So inquiring minds want to know. What gives? Are you getting a new project? Pictures would be nice for us poor folks not shopping right now.
                      It's killing you isn't it Karen?
                      1980 pilot house 351
                      1988 260 predator 351

Comment

• Fisherlady2
                        Fisherlady2 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep! I'm not too proud to admit it... I know its sad, 😞 its a vicarious thrill, but as a Rock addict I'll take what I can get😁!
                        Last edited by Fisherlady2; 09-13-2019, 12:51 PM.
                    Working...
                    X