Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Breaker points plate for PCM 4140 / Mitsubishi 4G54 Distributor? (1985 17' Shammy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaker points plate for PCM 4140 / Mitsubishi 4G54 Distributor? (1985 17' Shammy)

Hello everyone!

My 1985 Shamrock 17' has been having problems. It will shut down suddenly after running well for a short time. After a ten minute wait it will restart, but I cannot bring it to full power without it bogging down again. According to my boat mechanic, who has had my Shammy for three weeks (busy guy), it's an electrical issue. He says that after the boat is warmed up it suddenly stops charging the battery (which is new), and he suspects that an electronic conversion kit installed by a previous owner may be causing the trouble.

He is considering removing the conversion kit and returning to using points instead, as he feels that's what the motor was meant to have anyways. However, when the kit was installed the plate onto which the points are installed was removed. I don't have it, so I need to source that for him.

Am I correct that the distributor for this engine is Mallory RA107020? If that's right, what I need is the correct part number for the missing "breaker plate".

I believe the correct points are Mallory R114001. The breaker plate MAY be Mallory 25608, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated. I sure would like to get back on the water.

Thanks,

Matt

You need a different mechanic. Electronic ignitions have been installed in thousands of boats. Ignition system doesn't have anything to do with charging the batteries. Check your coil.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    31 Grand Slam
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• guitarcoach
      guitarcoach commented
      Editing a comment
      I may not have understood his reasons for wanting to change out the conversion kit. He is considered one of the best marine mechanics in my area, so I'm inclined to trust his judgement.

That said, I am still hoping to find the part number for the breaker points mounting plate...can anyone help?

Hope so.

X2 on different mechanic!
    Richard
    78 20' cuddy
    2004 pcm 351 HO FWC
    BW 1:1

Comment

I did misunderstand what the mechanic told me. Met with him this morning and he said that he replaced the alternator, which corrected the charging issue.

The problem now has to do with excessive voltage at the coil, which he thinks should be down around 8-9V, but he is reading around 14V. That's why he wants to remove the conversion kit and go back to using points.

I hope that I've explained things correctly this time. Wish I was a marine mechanic, but I'm just a guitarist and not knowledgeable about motors. 😊

Comment

Possibly use a resistor. Or a coil with an internal resistor.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        31 Grand Slam
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

+1 what Jerry says. If you found a points plate and installed points,your voltage to the coil would still be too high.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, folks.
            I have a PCM 4140 Quick Reference Parts List, and mentioned under Ignition Parts is a Ballast Resistor. My mechanic, upon seeing this, told me that this is used inline to drop the coil voltage, but there was no such resistor used in my boat, nor was there a way to add one to the existing conversion kit (again, if I understood him correctly). I think he just wants to return the boat to original specs.

I just want to get back on the water. Summers are short in Ontario!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by guitarcoach; 07-09-2019, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Don't believe the electronic ignition uses a resistor.
              1988 26' cuddy
              1975 20' open
              31 Grand Slam
              16' Sandpiper
              14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

It most likely don't Jerry but the coil still would not like the full voltage. Would be easier just to install an internally ballasted coil like you said in post 5

Comment

Please forgive what is likely a dumb question, but what symptoms occur when the coil voltage is too high?

Comment

If anyone needs a guitar lesson, I'm happy to help in my own area of expertise. ;P

Comment

Actually I was wrong, I think. I recently changed my Petronix system and it had a resistor. Replaced it with the Petronix coil with internal resister. I go back to my initial suggestion. Check the coil. If you have a seperate resistor, check that also.
                      1988 26' cuddy
                      1975 20' open
                      31 Grand Slam
                      16' Sandpiper
                      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Originally posted by guitarcoach View Post
                        Please forgive what is likely a dumb question, but what symptoms occur when the coil voltage is too high?
                        Coil will get real hot eventually engine will quit.

Comment

• guitarcoach
                          guitarcoach commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks, Gary S, that's basically what's been happening.

My search is over. PCM installed the Mallory YL694AV distributor in their marinizing of the Mitsubishi 4G54 (which they then called the PCM 4140). PCM part number for the YL694AV is RA107020.

Fortunately, Discount Inboard Marine happened to have an NIB Mallory YL694AV in stock and at a price only slightly more than what I would have spent buying points, condenser and braker plate individually. It ships today!

Absolutely superb customer service from Vince at their tech department.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Comment

If you are going back to points then you will likely need to add in the wiring for the ballast resistor. Sounds like your mechanic will do that if he is taking her back to factory specs.

Comment

Working...
                          X