Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

20 foot CC open 79 Shamrock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 foot CC open 79 Shamrock

Looks like my port exhaust has a hole and needs replaced. The break appears to be from between the console and to the rear. (302 Ford V8) The fuel tank hides most access in the stern but I can feel the hose and clamps with my hand. My two seats sit just behind the console on a teak raised platform. The bilge compartment cover at the bottom rear of the console allows some access and this is where the hard rubber exhaust hose attaches to a metal pipe. Taking the deck off seems a bit problematic since I would also have to remove the fuel intake and sending unit valves and chair platform. Is there a "best way" to remove the exhaust pipe(s)?

Get a screw gun and take the deck up. Simple, fast and the absolutely easiest way to replace the exhaust. Replace it all. You will never do it working through the gear cover.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    31 Grand Slam
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Agree with Jerry, remove the deck. We did our exhaust last year and it was a relatively easy job when all exposed. On our boat we had to remove the step up at the console, then the deck but it was no problem. It would be almost impossible to do the exhaust without removing the deck.
      1990 26’ open 351W

Comment

Agree with previous recommendations to remove the rear deck panel and fuel tank. Also will be an excellent opportunity to inspect the steering system, grounding and bonding, fuel tank and deck panel, especially the underside of the deck where the tank compartment was fiberglassed to the underside of the deck.
        Kingfisher
        1990 22' PREDATOR INDMAR 5.7 310 HP and ZF 45 C
        Fishineer
        1976 20' CENTER CONSOLE Ford 302 and B/W 1:1
        Wilmington, NC

Comment

Thanks for the advice and the way for me to proceed. I'll be starting on it next week and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Comment

This is the website for you. Anything you want to do to your boat, 20 people here have done it already.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            31 Grand Slam
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I have volunteered to donate some knuckle skin toward Quint's project, & I have a couple of more questions.

- There are 3 fuel hoses that pass through the deck plate at the stern of the boat: a large filler hose and 2 smaller hoses (fuel line & vent I assume). After removing the hoses, it looks like we need to remove the fuel line fittings before we remove the deck? Can we just unscrew them with a crescent wrench, or is there a trick to avoid breaking something important?

- It is not obvious how to remove the teak base supporting the two seats. Our best guess is to remove the seats & there will be some sort of access hole where we'll see the screws that need to be removed.

Thanks again.
              Last edited by Who da Ville?; 06-27-2019, 03:12 PM.
              Clint Smith
              Idaville, Oregon
              '93 22' Warrior (Walkaround)

Comment

Don't need to remove the fittings. The tank and deck are one piece. Teak base is not an original part. You are on your own there. Is it mounted to the fuel tank deck plate? Post a picture.
                1988 26' cuddy
                1975 20' open
                31 Grand Slam
                16' Sandpiper
                14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Thanks. Maybe the teak box comes off with the deck too. If so, this'll be a lot easier than I had originally thought. I've done this job before on my walk-around. So once we get the deck removed, I think we'll be OK. My guess is a 3-4 knuckle job for the whole thing.
                  Clint Smith
                  Idaville, Oregon
                  '93 22' Warrior (Walkaround)

Comment

Clint, a lot easier than your 22'er.
                    1988 26' cuddy
                    1975 20' open
                    31 Grand Slam
                    16' Sandpiper
                    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Took the back deck out of a 26 open this afternoon, took about 25 minutes. Had to remove the step up at the console, then the deck and fish cooker, the the live well. Replacing the original rack steering with hydraulic. With 2 people probably could have the deck out in 15 minutes.
                      1990 26’ open 351W

Comment

I put dummy screw heads in the deck plate. That way if there is an emergency, as I had the other night, you can just lift the entire cover and storage box up quickly. I tilt it towards the transom and leave the bilge pump hose attached. Run a rope from stern cleats across the box to hold it up.
                        1988 26' cuddy
                        1975 20' open
                        31 Grand Slam
                        16' Sandpiper
                        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...
                        X