Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Filling Old Holes on Deck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling Old Holes on Deck

I'm installing a side mounted captains chair. Therefore, I need to fill the holes where the old captain's chair mounted to the deck in front of the helm (see picture). Obviously, I can't tape under the holes to fill with them epoxy filler. What's the best was to do this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	21244
    1990 Shamrock Mackinaw
    Mercruiser 383 Stroker MPI
    VD 72C 1.91:1/ACME 17x15.5 w/.075 cup 4B

Are they screw holes or were they through bolted?

Our console was screwed down so we mixed a thicken epoxy, put it in a syringe then filled the holes. Maybe 3 or 4 of the approximately 25 holes sagged a little on the first fill, after the epoxy hardened we just topped those off.

Guessing it wasn’t through bolted or you would be able to put a small tape where nuts were.

1990 26’ open 351W

Comment

A great product is Prately QuickSet White Epoxy. It is a thick paste and stays where you put it. It dries fast and easy to sand. I like this product better then Marine Tex since the mix is 1:1. With Marine tex it is a 5:1 mix which is hard to do with small mixes. You can get Prately on Amazon for $10. Another good product is 3M Marine Filler which unlike Epoxy you can paint gel coat over the filler. You cannot paint gel coat of epoxies. The filler dries green and also dries fast and very easy to sand. you can also get that filler on Amazon

Comment

Also forgot to add with Prately you can add a colorant if you want to darken it to match. Just order a black colorant on Amazon that you can get for Gel Coat

Comment

Okay, purchased the Prately QuickSet White stuff. I do have some Marine Tex stuff, but I dread doing the 5:1 mixture. It’s a PITA and messy. The 1:1 mixture of this stuff, and the price, is what sold me on this.
          1990 Shamrock Mackinaw
          Mercruiser 383 Stroker MPI
          VD 72C 1.91:1/ACME 17x15.5 w/.075 cup 4B

Comment

Is the 5:1 ratio by volume? Just asking because I have mixed odd ratios by weight before using a digital kitchen scale that measures down to grams. Just a suggestion. When I was filling holes a couple weeks ago I just used thickened epoxy.

Comment

TotalBoat epoxy fairing compound is 1:1 and very easy to work - and sand. You will have to paint it when done.

Comment

• RC65
                RC65 commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome product!
            Working...
            X