Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Starter Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Question

Is the slave / relay solenoid attached to the starter? I was reading on Fish The Classic thread and came across someone (Mac) that was having the same issue I am.... clicks once when trying to start. Our best friend Kurt was commenting and offering advise. Turns out Mac only had to replace the slave / relay solenoid.

There is a solanoid on the top rear of the engine with a reset button on it. Is that what he was referring to?
    Atlantic City, NJ
    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

• Striper Sniper
      Striper Sniper commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure Skip. Hence the question.

It controls the current to the starter. If it has bad connections the starter doesn't turn over. It will sometimes click
    Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

• Striper Sniper
      Striper Sniper commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to take a look at that. I think you're referring to the gray box with the red button on it. I saw something like that on the top rear of the engine.

I had the same issue at first with mine. Since my boat sat for a while before i got it gunk built up between the starter and block so I wasn’t getting a good ground. Took it apart, cleaned the surfaces and was good to go after that. Just another thing to check.
    Chip
    Camden, Delaware

1989 Shamrock 20 Cuddy Cabin (Rock Bottom)
    PCM 302, RWC

Comment

Skip is this the gray box you're referring to?
      Pat

Comment

Pat, that’s the one. The relay you’re troubleshooting is under that. The base of the relay must be grounded in order for it to work properly.
        Chip
        Camden, Delaware

1989 Shamrock 20 Cuddy Cabin (Rock Bottom)
        PCM 302, RWC

Comment

Yes it is. They fail too.
          Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Working...
          X