Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Stainless Raw Water Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedlyr View Post

Never. I replaced the impeller about 350 hours ago
    Good! I didn’t think that these needed to be changed every year as suggested above, which would have been a deal killer for me.

When I questioned Mercury Marine, they told me that they went to plastic pump bodies based on R&D, not on cost savings as suggested above. They actually consider the plastic pumps more reliable than the metal ones for some reason (something about corrosion and pitting I believe).

1990 Shamrock Mackinaw
    Mercruiser 383 Stroker MPI
    VD 72C 1.91:1/ACME 17x15.5 w/.075 cup 4B

Comment

Here is what the plastic ones look like after one year of use. This one has around 70 hours on it.
      2001 246 WA
      Mercruiser 5.7 Horizon

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
        Here is what the plastic ones look like after one year of use. This one has around 70 hours on it.
        Ouch, that’s not good! I will definitely remove mine after the fishing season to inspect. Did you have any symptoms of this?

1990 Shamrock Mackinaw

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
          I just removed my pump for the first time to inspect the impeller after 276 hours of use. Unlike yours, mine came factory with the bronze body (or is it brass?):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	23787

I did look at a YouTube video of a guy replacing his impeller. The inside of the plastid body on his looked horrible! His impeller was wasted and he had to fish out all the broken rubber pieces throughout his system. I'm glad mine is metal.
          1990 Shamrock Mackinaw

Comment

Working...
          X