Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Oh The Joys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh The Joys

Oh the joys of changing out spark plugs under a center console, it only took me a mere 3 hours... yippie. :-)

That is why I like my 75 center console. The whole front folds down. Spark plugs, 20 minutes. Carb, 7 minutes. Did both today, 30 minutes with a cup of coffee.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• Striper Sniper
      Striper Sniper commented
      Editing a comment
      Trust me I look at how the console could be modified to do just that.

Originally posted by Striper Sniper View Post
    Oh the joys of changing out spark plugs under a center console, it only took me a mere 3 hours... yippie. :-)
    Just think the next time will only take 2 1/2 hrs
    '78 20ft Cuddy
    Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

My hands barely fit between the gutter rails. Good thing I have long arms and reached from the front.

Comment

What would you of been doing for those three hours if you weren't changing plugs? Just admit it, you love it.
        1980 pilot house 351
        1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Do you have some long skinny guy working for you?
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I'll let one of my little elves go for a little while one evening to do it next time!
            Richard
            78 20' cuddy
            2004 pcm 351 HO FWC
            BW 1:1

Comment

Still trying to figure out the ignition gremlin... replaced plugs and rotor also cleaned rotor cap and she still will fire off not even a little bit. No one carries the rotor cap so I have one on order, hopefully it will show up today.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20 engine.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	17679 Change engines quicker than you do spark plugs. BUT, your boat is a WHOLE lot NICER t
                1988 26' cuddy
                1975 20' open
                16' Sandpiper
                14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Originally posted by Striper Sniper View Post
                  Still trying to figure out the ignition gremlin... replaced plugs and rotor also cleaned rotor cap and she still will fire off not even a little bit. No one carries the rotor cap so I have one on order, hopefully it will show up today.
                  If it were me the first thing I would do is pull the coil wire from the distributor and see if there is fire when you turn her over. If yes, and it is strong fire, then you are probably on the right track with distributor, etc. Though unlikely, would also verify the wires are set up for the correct firing order. (Worked on a boat one July 4th where a mechanic put wires on in the reverse order.)

If there is no fire verify coil is good and receiving correct voltage. Will need to know if you have points and condenser or electronic ignition before offering more info.

PS: Good luck!
                  C Rhodes
                  26' Mackinaw - 1990
                  351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
                  351 PCM (2006 - Current)
                  Southport, NC

Comment

I ordered a cap and rotor from go2marine Wednesday and sadly it will not be here until Tuesday (not the best turn around time) found the same parts yesterday on Amazon and I'll have it on Sunday (tommrow). Spark at the coil is strong not so much at the plugs. It's like 50% less there. I'll check the firing order today, MSD ignition.
                    Last edited by Striper Sniper; 10-13-2018, 05:04 AM.

Comment

I'll bet its that msd box.
                      i had a msd 6al box that gave me fits!
                      jump starting the motor if its ever done can spike the voltage and take out the box.
                      not saying thats what always happens but its a possibility.
                      Last edited by RC65; 10-13-2018, 05:15 AM.
                      Richard
                      78 20' cuddy
                      2004 pcm 351 HO FWC
                      BW 1:1

Comment

• Striper Sniper
                        Striper Sniper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well that may be what happened in sorts... I'm not sure if when my son and I tried starting the Heather Rose if he had the battery charger on boost at one point or another. I don't want to ask him because he'll feel guilty about it.

Pat, I have an MSD box that I am not using. PM me your address and I'll get it headed your way.
                      1980 pilot house 351
                      1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Definitely check the box.
                        1988 26' cuddy
                        1975 20' open
                        16' Sandpiper
                        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

The quality of the 6AL is not what it used to be. I prefer the HEI module.

MSD = My Spark Died
                          Steve
                          1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

Working...
                          X