Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Lindas Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindas Rock

So I am putting Lindas boat together from the pile of parts that came with the boat. Trying to figure what goes with what. Long story short. If I knew what I was doing, I would be done by now.
    THE 1.91 :1 VELVET DRIVE, REVERSES THE ROTATION AT THE SHAFT. A LEFT HAND ENGINE TURNS THE SHAFT CLOCKWISE.
    So I spent 2 days trying to solve a problem that didn't exist.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

At what point did you discover this? Sure would of been an embarrassing maiden voyage if you hadn't caught it.
    1980 pilot house 351
    1988 260 predator 408

Comment

While I was putting the gear on the engine, I always check the tranny to make sure it works. When I hooked up the drill it spun backwards. Checked the pump setting and everything else I could think of. I had one gear with the bellhousing on it and one seperate. The separate bellhousing had a label that said RIGHT HAND ROTATION and an arrow pointing clockwise. The gear had a label saying left hand prop and an arrow indicating counterclockwise. I just assumed that they just came different engines. After calling Velvet Drive tech numerous times and emailing them numerous times, and getting no response, I dug out my shop notes. Indexing the pump with the arrow is, to me, a little confusing. After some reading I came upon the note that 1.91;1 gears reversed the prop. Now the pump, bellhousing and gear all made sense. Just another wasted day. Not as bad as the next day when an engine rolled over and cost me an electric fuel pump, alternator and bracket, bellhousing, distributor and flame arrestor.
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Jerry, don't all the reduction gears reverse the rotation? and I thought that you could change the rotation of the straight velvet drive by reversing the pump.
        Atlantic City, NJ
        1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
          ...Now the pump, bellhousing and gear all made sense. Just another wasted day. Not as bad as the next day when an engine rolled over and cost me an electric fuel pump, alternator and bracket, bellhousing, distributor and flame arrestor.
          Ouch! I hope all hands and feet were out of the way when that happened. It sucks to replace engine parts, but worse if human parts Injured!
          Karen
          Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
          1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
          1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
          3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Wow Jerry, that's a bummer rolling that engine and ruining those parts.....Sorry to read that.
            Clyde, Pasadena, Maryland
            1985 Shamrock (ROCK SOLID)26 Cuddy Cabin
            2000 Yanmar 4LHDA-STE 230 HP....
            Hurth HSW 630 A1 1.6 1.58 Trolling Valve
            17X17 4 bladed Prop with Light Cup

Comment

Wasnt there a post years ago on FTC about this ? I seem to remember Jimmy yelling at someone because they didnt know the 1.91 was the only gear that reverses rotation
              '78 20ft Cuddy
              Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Maybe we need to get Jimmy here to jump Jerry's ass?
                1980 pilot house 351
                1988 260 predator 408

Comment

PLEASE!!! I'll do it if you promise not to suggest that again! Lol Jerry, watch out!
                  Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

I should know better. I don't mind doing mechanical work but I would have been much better off if the boat arrived with everything hooked up and running but had a big hole in it. At least then I would be doing what I know how to do. Tip is, do what you do and pay others to do what they do. Never mind, what fun would that be and besides, I can't afford it. I miss Jimmy. Wonder if he has calmed down any?
                    1988 26' cuddy
                    1975 20' open
                    16' Sandpiper
                    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I don't think Jimmy will ever calm down. that's what made Jimmy, Jimmy. And you are right, he did have a wealth of knowledge. just in abrasive packaging.
                      Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

He was Gregs best buddy. Mad Mike also.
                        1988 26' cuddy
                        1975 20' open
                        16' Sandpiper
                        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I thought he coulda been nicer to Greg. Plus what he did to Charles was just not right. Hes been around under Jawz and other alias on other sites. Plus the whole Capt Don thing. Now he probably wants me to drive 6 hrs so he can beat me up.
                          '78 20ft Cuddy
                          Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Originally posted by Pedlyr View Post
                            I thought he coulda been nicer to Greg. Plus what he did to Charles was just not right. Hes been around under Jawz and other alias on other sites. Plus the whole Capt Don thing. Now he probably wants me to drive 6 hrs so he can beat me up.
                            Totally agree.He was responsible for a lot of people leaving the site. Much better when everyone just gets along and even though disagreeing, does it in a civil way. I disagreed with Grreatdog on most social things but he was one of my favorite people on FTC. Wish he was here.
                            1988 26' cuddy
                            1975 20' open
                            16' Sandpiper
                            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• Nay
                              Nay commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That is true. His comments about Shamrock and Bertram is the reason for my first joining the discussions on SBO. He did know a lot of stuff but was not willing to discuss things he didn't agree with.
                              Nay

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post

Totally agree.He was responsible for a lot of people leaving the site. Much better when everyone just gets along and even though disagreeing, does it in a civil way. I disagreed with Grreatdog on most social things but he was one of my favorite people on FTC. Wish he was here.
                            Me too. He was an asset to any conversation.
                            Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Working...
                            X