Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater

Has anyone hooked-up a heater to heat exchanger? It gets chilly during crab season up here in extreme N. California Click image for larger version

Name:	st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	32966

Don't know that it has been done but it would be simple.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

When I did my repower, I ran 2 each 5/8" heater hose to the cuddy cabin. I have a 20 fter so I went thru the engine bulkhead on the port side over/ under. I squeezed the hoses between the step down pan and the bed and bought them out thru the side of the pan once I got past the cabin door. Then I looped the hoses up and right to the bottom of the cabin bulkhead.

I have a 350 Mercruser so I tied one hose in to the thermostat housing. The other hose I tee'd into the heat exchanger hose. I have isolation valves on them. Thats as far as I got. Still havent got around to buying a heater core. it's on the list.
      '78 20ft Cuddy
      Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Just bought an '83 20' Cuddy. She needs a lot of tlc but it's mostly cosmetic. I have the heater from another boat. wondering where to mount it. The ceiling of the foc'sle might be ideal if the plumbing was squared away.

Comment

Unless you put it below the engine coolant level, it's going to get air locked

Comment

• Pappy
            Pappy commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point, Argo

I have a Red Dot buss heater mounted through the bulkhead below the steering wheel. Works fine. Ran the hoses into cuddy through the wiring channel.
          Enjoy,
          Tony

1981 20 ft cuddy
          4.3L Chev V-6

Comment

I second the Red Dot. I've put one in all of my boats, though a bit of a warning about picking the right one. Foolish me, I spent an extra $20 for a higher capacity unit on my 270 with the Yanmar thinking it's better to have more capacity. The damn thing blew me out of the cabin, and up here in Alaska! It was way too much heat even on low speed with the diesel running 20F hotter than my gassers. I had to remove one of the squirrel cage fans and block off some of the heater core to get it toned down enough and even then, I don't use anything but low speed. And if you have to mount it high, one of those Prestone heater hose flush connections at the high spot will let you bleed the air out. It's nice to be warm when it's wet and cold!

Comment

Working...
            X