Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Trailer brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer brakes

A friend of mine is getting a new three axle trailer for his boat and wants a recommendation on whether to get electric or surge brakes. He has always had surge brakes and has had no real issues. This will be the largest boat he has ever towed. His main concern is when backing down the ramp with a surge style trailer. I know that you can pin out the slide to keep the brakes from applying when backing under normal conditions but is there anything available to actually help with braking while backing down a ramp or is it completely dependent on the truck brakes? Thanks
    1980 pilot house 351
    1988 260 predator 408

Check out the electric over hydraulic systems.https://www.easternmarine.com/electr...rake-actuators
    Serenity
    07 246 WA
    5.7 MPI Crusader

Comment

Curt also makes a blue tooth brake controller that works from an app on your phone so you don’t have to mess with installing one in tow vehicle if you don’t already have one. I have one it works great.
      Serenity
      07 246 WA
      5.7 MPI Crusader

Comment

Our Venture trailer came with a reverse lockout solenoid on the brake actuator...when the reverse lights come on, it turns on a valve on the actuator that prevents the fluid from going to the wheel cylinders on the trailer.

Electric over hydraulic is another option, it was offered when we bought our new trailer but I cheaped out and decided not to spend the extra $1500 for it!

1986 26' HT w/5.7 PCM 330HP RWC

Comment

Thanks for the information. It looks like if he wants braking while backing down the ramp he needs electric or electric over hydraulic. Is that correct braking? If going with the electric over hydraulic would you go with disc or drum? He loads after each use and uses the boat a lot and boats in salt water.
          1980 pilot house 351
          1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Electric over and disc. My opinion
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

So with the electric over hydraulic the brakes will apply as needed when backing correct? He doesn't want to be the subject of a YouTube video.
              1980 pilot house 351
              1988 260 predator 408

Comment

I second the disc brake option. I swapped out my drum brakes for ss discs after getting locked up too many times after sitting, money well worth it. I don't have electric over hydraulic, but it has a solenoid that radioman has that prevents the brakes from actuating when in reverse so simple backing operation. My son recently upgraded his trailer to electric over hydraulic and is happy with it. He trailers further than I do (1 mile to the ramp!) so not an option I'm interested in. All electric like on travel trailers is not an option btw since corrosion is an issue so surge brakes are what you get with the only electric option being the electric over hydraulic.

Comment

He wants to be able to control the boat when backing down the ramp and not get carried away, correct?
                  1988 26' cuddy
                  1975 20' open
                  16' Sandpiper
                  14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

If you don't live in a saltwater area, straight electric works well. I installed Dexter backers and drums on my 26' Mack. They work fine. I am not a fan of surge and the delayed braking.

Comment

Working...
                  X