Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

16' project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16' project

Saw this sitting in the weeds 20 years ago. When the trees finally grew enough that I couldn't see it any more, I stopped and asked about it. 4 inches of beautiful topsoil filled this boat. Had to chainsaw a tree out of the well. Click image for larger version

Name:	kencraft1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	5.67 MB
ID:	30048 Click image for larger version

Name:	kencraft3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	4.69 MB
ID:	30049 One of the very first that Kenny Vick built. Very popular, even today, around this part of the coast. Going to get it looking good and sell.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Keep me in mind Jerry. What power are you going to use?
    1980 pilot house 351
    1988 260 predator 408

Comment

The only outboard I have left is a 15 HP . Probably sell it without engine.
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I have a few laying around. What would you suggest?
        1980 pilot house 351
        1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Probably a 25 would be just right. I'll check around here and see what is being used.
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Guessing that boat was used for shrimping back in the day. Note the guard planking on the stern around the well where the doors/planers would rest when hauling the net. Boy does she bring back memories!
            C Rhodes
            26' Mackinaw - 1990
            351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
            351 PCM (2006 - Current)
            Southport, NC

Comment

Jerry. Would this boat handle me and the 3 little boys?

Comment

Originally posted by crhodes View Post
                Guessing that boat was used for shrimping back in the day. Note the guard planking on the stern around the well where the doors/planers would rest when hauling the net. Boy does she bring back memories!
                Looked closer and what I thought were planks beside the well is not. That said, still brings back memories and looks like boats we used to shrimp and oyster with. Beautiful!
                C Rhodes
                26' Mackinaw - 1990
                351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
                351 PCM (2006 - Current)
                Southport, NC

Comment

Chris, would be a good back water boat for you. Next time you are in the area, stop in and look at it.
                  Cecil, definitely what you are thinking of. Has the holders for tow post and frame that would hold the lights. Gillnetting and inshore shrimping is what they were designed for.
                  1988 26' cuddy
                  1975 20' open
                  16' Sandpiper
                  14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Cut out the delaminated glass. Need to wait for the wood to dry. I'll do the hull and cap while I wait. Cecil, I think this is exactly what you were thinking. Easy work, just nasty.
                    75 and grinding glass.Click image for larger version

Name:	kencraft4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	30107 Click image for larger version

Name:	kencraft5.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	30108
                    1988 26' cuddy
                    1975 20' open
                    16' Sandpiper
                    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Jerry, quick question for you, not trying to hijack your link. On a "linered" boat, have you ever been able to cut out the soft deck, peel off the gel coated glass covering, install new deck material and then...re-epoxy the old gel coated glass back to the new deck material?
                      Picked up a 23 Proline (linered construction) with a soft deck. I was thinking about trying it that way. If it breaks up, I'm no farter behind.

Comment

Short answer, yes. Instead of epoxy, put the deck piece onto the wet polyester and weigh it down. You will , most likely, have to sand the seam, but nothing else.

Dried out and I got some glass on yesterday. All grinding is done. Tomorrow I'll put more glass on the deck and start sanding the hull. Cap is ready for paint. Cap and hull will be painted together before interior gets gelcoat sprayed.
                        1988 26' cuddy
                        1975 20' open
                        16' Sandpiper
                        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Thanks.....and keep the pictures coming

Comment

Not much to show for about 9 hours of work but it is what it is. Inside has first layer of glass over wood. Click image for larger version

Name:	16 project.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	30237 It will go fast now.
                            1988 26' cuddy
                            1975 20' open
                            16' Sandpiper
                            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...
                            X