Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

A place for the 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A place for the 26

I am having the pier fixed and I want to put a slip in for the 26 to stay in the water while I'm down there. I really like the setup at Wachapreague where you have two poles with ropes, pulleys and a window weight on them. You hook them to the bow and tie the back off. The tide is normally about 18 inches.
    At what spacing should I place the poles and how high should they be out of the water?
    Thanks.
    1980 pilot house 351
    1988 260 predator 408

Thoughts:
    • Height: High enough that the poles are sufficiently above the gunnels at the highest of tides and wave action. Also, you want to be able to place the pulley above the gunnels so it doesn't scratch the hull when backing in, etc. in the worst of conditions. Personally I would go at normal height and place the pulley lower on the pole, but well above the gunnels. Also, think about the angle of the lines to your bow and the placement of rails.
    • Width: Plan for the future... look at other marinas and go with normal width.
    • Must have missed something. Didn't realize you had finished the 26. If only half the quality you did on the pilot house she must be a beauty! (Tell Diane hello for me.)
    Last edited by crhodes; 05-29-2020, 09:42 AM.
    C Rhodes
    26' Mackinaw - 1990
    351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
    351 PCM (2006 - Current)
    Southport, NC

Comment

Ditto Cecil.
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      31 Grand Slam
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Thanks guy's. Good ideas.
        The 26 is not finished yet. I have the engine ready to install and that's about it. My problem is that the pier got in such bad shape that I have to replace it. I wanted to redesign it to make it more user friendly.
        I'm thinking about making it where you can get on the boat from the port side and the stern.
        Does anyone have suggestions for the pier?
        Diane says hello.

Thanks,
        1980 pilot house 351
        1988 260 predator 408

Comment

If you have the option I would try for an L shaped dock to allow you the potential for 3 slip locations, outside being deepest, long side would be a nose in shallow to deep and inside the L for a shallower draft boat parallel to the bank. Keep 4 of the posts tall at the end of the L to allow for you to mount a high countertop for a cleaning station (with lockable storage below) and possibly a shade roof between those tall posts over the counter which doubles as a platform for a solar panel to run solar lights and maybe even a pump set up for a raw water wash down option. (Unless you have regular power at the dock, then you can forgo the solar options)
          I can think of more fancy stuff if you want, lol... always fun spending money on someone elses project!
          Karen
          Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
          1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
          1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
          3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Something I think would be handy is a cheap hand held shower hookup... The type with the little shut off pin/switch at the head. Put a mount at about 30 inches and another at standard height for it. You could use it for rinsing all sorts of stuff off at the dock, having a lower mount allows controlled, hands free water flow while you are scrubbing out coolers or cleaning off gear. I know you can do similar with a hose nozzle but doesn't seem to have the same flow control and mounting options for hands free use isn't there.
            Karen

Comment

Great ideas Karen. I'm a visual guy. When you have a minute could you draw a scotch and take a picture please?
              I have current and fresh water available. The total length is 112' and there is one boat lift at the end on the left that is going to stay. It's too small for the 26.
              1980 pilot house 351
              1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Do you have a picture of the current dock? And you say it is 112 feet? That's a lot of room to work with! What width currently and are you keeping the current pilings or replacing everything? Will gladly draw up an idea once I have dimensional restrictions so I dont go overboard, lol
                Last edited by Fisherlady2; 05-30-2020, 12:42 PM.
                Karen

Comment

Just draw yours and I trace a line 10 feet inside all your perimeters. 👍

Start with 6' wide and 112' long.

The existing lift is on the end to the left facing out.
                  The deepest water is at the end to the right.

Thanks.
                  1980 pilot house 351
                  1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200530_233001.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	26877
                    Be careful what you ask for, lol

​​​​​​​had to edit because I had forgotten the fresh water hose reel...
                    Last edited by Fisherlady2; 05-30-2020, 10:36 PM.
                    Karen

Comment

Very nice. I like it. Now you got me thinking.
                      Thank you.
                      1980 pilot house 351
                      1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Had a lot of great memories on this pier.it used to have a boathouse on it but it fell victim to a storm 20 years ago. We've been patching it up ever since.

Name:	20200531_071538.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	5.07 MB
ID:	26943

Began the demo on Sunday.

Name:	20200531_175336.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	5.43 MB
ID:	26944
                        1980 pilot house 351
                        1988 260 predator 408

Comment

A lot of work, but will be a 'feel good project' when finished.
                          Karen

Comment

Working...
                          X