Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Oil capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil capacity

Not all engines are the same. Make sure you add enough oil to read right on the stick. Some marine engines take 5 in the pan and others 4 or 6. Usually 1 qt. for the filter. I fill the filter before installing.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Some of the older engines had truck engine pans. 7 qts. and filter. I was not referring to shamrocks though. After I posted, I reilized they had ford 302 and 351 blocks and had 4 qt pans.
    Last edited by Ship; 10-07-2016, 12:24 PM. Reason: needed to clarified which was which.
    Atlantic City, NJ
    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

There was a similar thread over on the FTC forum. The member was asking how much oil a 351 engine held......I posted on it earlier today so I went back over and copied my post to also put it here.

It all depends on what oil pan is installed on your engine. My last Mako inboard had a GM 350 Mercruiser application and the first time that I changed oil I added 5 qts and checked the dip stick. It wasn't even showing anything. I immediately looked to make sure it hadn't ran out into the bilge somewhere and it hadn't so I added another qt and it was on the dip stick but still low. I added another and it showed between the add and full mark so I started the engine and let it run about 30 seconds and shut it down. I waited 10 minutes and rechecked the dip stick. I was again below the add mark so I added another qt. This made a total of 8 qts now added. I started it up again and shutdown rechecking after sitting for 10 minutes again. It was now where it should be on the dip stick. When I pulled the engine a few years later I discovered that the engine had a deep aluminium oil pan on it. I assume someone changed the oil pan a some point in the boat's life. I think if you don't know, do as I did. Add the 4 qts like Gary said and check the dip stick before starting. If it shows full run it and recheck after it sits about 10 mins and add as necessary.
      Clyde, Pasadena, Maryland
      1985 Shamrock (ROCK SOLID)26 Cuddy Cabin
      2000 Yanmar 4LHDA-STE 230 HP....
      Hurth HSW 630 A1 1.6 1.58 Trolling Valve
      17X17 4 bladed Prop with Light Cup

Comment

The old aluminum pans were the 7 qt pans I was talking about. I have one I was going to put on my 351 rebuild but it hit the oil pump so I went with the 4 qt steel pan that someone had painted with por-15 and was on the engine when I got it.
        Atlantic City, NJ
        1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Can't get the link function to work but here is a post on Correct Craft Fan I did on a 351 PCM oil pan - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum...479292&#479292

Comment

Good info there Gary. Anyone needing an oil pan now knows what to ask for at the local salvage yard. If you are old like me, that is a junk yard.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...
            X