Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Scuppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scuppers

Here's another project that is worth noting.

Scuppers on our Macks are generally a pain in the ass. They're just two low and I always have to run my boat with plugs in. I hate this part of the design. I haven't put any scuppers at deck height yet, but that might be something I do in the future.

But, here is what I found...... EZ Scuppers by Seaworthy Innovations. I've been reading about these things on another site and thought it was worth trying. They stick on with some sort of adhesive. No screw holes. I generally don't like things that "stick" since they generally become "unstuck", but I gave them a shot.

So far, I'm really impressed. I haven't fished with them yet, but they really do stop any water from coming in. First time, my scupper splash wells have ever been dry.

I'll post how they perform in the future, but check them out. I think it's a lot cleaner than the ping pong ball setups.
    Jeff
    2008 32' Carolina Classic
    1990 Shamrock Mackinaw (sold)
    1998 Shamrock Pilot (Sold)

That's quite the anode in the pic? Some sort of grounding/bonding plate?
    '78 20ft Cuddy
    Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Zinc Anode Plate that I use for bonding. I went with a large plate since I had plenty of room.
      Jeff

Comment

They look good.....as you said, the test will be whether they stay attached or not. Wishing you luck that they do.
        Clyde, Pasadena, Maryland
        1985 Shamrock (ROCK SOLID)26 Cuddy Cabin
        2000 Yanmar 4LHDA-STE 230 HP....
        Hurth HSW 630 A1 1.6 1.58 Trolling Valve
        17X17 4 bladed Prop with Light Cup

Comment

That looks promising. I just modified 2 flask stoppers to prevent inflow. Water pours in when I load the boat on the trailer.
          Steve
          1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

So far, I'm very impressed. Time will tell!
            Jeff

Comment

Did you buy them from Amazon?
              Steve

Comment

I read about them on The Hull Truth - EZ Scuppers. I ordered them direct. Seaworthy Innovations. If you search the hull truth, you'll find some posts about them. All good, nothing negative.

The stainless is really heavy, not cheap. The rubber insert is replaceable and is really thin. Maybe that's what makes them work.

I haven't fished with them yet, so time will tell.
                Jeff

Comment

I have the ping pong ball type on my little Scout and they are more of a problem then a help I have replaced them twice already and my feet are still wet so hopefully you have found a solution

Comment

I'll be fishing within the next week or two, so I'll see how they work. So far in the slip, they're awesome. I'm sure it will lessen the water flow, but stop it..... not sure.
                    Jeff

Comment

Hold on before ordering. I may have a deal for the good guys. The people at Seaworthy seem to be really good guys and make a quality product.
                      1988 26' cuddy
                      1975 20' open
                      16' Sandpiper
                      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

They are well built, nice scuppers. But, I've only used them in a slip. I have no idea how they work while fishing. At the dock, no water at all comes lapping in. But, in open water..... I have no idea!. So, you might want to wait until I get a chance to use them a bit.
                        Jeff

Comment

We ran out yesterday evening for a few hours. Three guys, no water in the bait tank, full saddle tanks, empty belly tank, lot's of gear and ice.

The scuppers worked extremely well. It was the first time, I have ever had the boat in the ocean without the plugs. I never had to put them in! Had a small amount of water in the wells, but never had anything splashing up and out all over the deck. Really impressed with how these things work!

Might be a different story, after I put 60 gallons of water in the bait tank. But, for now..... they really work nice!
                          Jeff

Comment

I'm glad to hear that. It sounds like a simple and inexpensive solution.
                            Steve

Comment

I have them ordered. They told me that they are in the process of making rectangular scuppers.
                              1988 26' cuddy
                              1975 20' open
                              16' Sandpiper
                              14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...
                              X