Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Gelcoat Discoloration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quik Fix
    replied
    Goof-Off Rust Aid Click image for larger version

Name:	rustaid.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	10854

Leave a comment:

• tuner
    replied
    Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
    Wash the hull with Rust-Aid. I get it at a Do It Best hardware and the name has been changed to Goof-Off rust remover. Acid that removes gelcoat oxidation just like any other oxidation. Want to clean up the metal? Rub it with P B Blaster or Kroil. Think about it. What are they designed to do? Want to put a quick shine on that gelcoat. Wipe it down with ATF or better yet, one of the paint additives that are for better brush flow, such as Penetrol. Won't last months but it is easy, quick and cheap.
    Thanks Quik ! I'll look for some Rust-Aid.

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    Wash the hull with Rust-Aid. I get it at a Do It Best hardware and the name has been changed to Goof-Off rust remover. Acid that removes gelcoat oxidation just like any other oxidation. Want to clean up the metal? Rub it with P B Blaster or Kroil. Think about it. What are they designed to do? Want to put a quick shine on that gelcoat. Wipe it down with ATF or better yet, one of the paint additives that are for better brush flow, such as Penetrol. Won't last months but it is easy, quick and cheap.

Leave a comment:

• tuner
    replied
    Thanks guys. Post mold repair seems likely. My first thought was some type of environmental exposure. All of the deck and house are fine aside from oxidation. Its not bad enough to justify spraying it, yet.

Leave a comment:

• DaveR
    replied
    My Hardtop has what looks like the same thing on the starboard bow. I originally thought it might be a repair but after talking with the original owner,I'm the second he said he never had any repair work done. I'm guessing that when they came out of the molds there was work to be done sometimes. Over the course of over 30 years it's discolored a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Ship
    replied
    Mine had a lot of that when I repainted mine and after a couple years, it started to show up again. Don't have any idea for a fix though.

Leave a comment:

• tuner
    started a topic Gelcoat Discoloration

Gelcoat Discoloration

The gelcoat on my Mack is discolored on the hull. The top side has an even color. I have tried oxalic acid with limited success, it removes the obvious rust spots and lightens the "staining" to some degree. I hope to avoid respraying gelcoat if possible.

Please look at the pictures an let me know if you have any recommendations.

Thank you and Happy New Year to all my fellow Shamrockers!

Last edited by tuner; 12-30-2017, 11:38 AM.
Working...
X